debug libs on windows

SimTKcore exists as a separate project to provide 'one stop shopping' for SimTK Core software and support, although the software is actually developed as a set of interdependent projects. SimTK 1.0 was released in March 2008, SimTK 2.0 in December, 2009.
rob rein

debug libs on windows

Post by rob rein » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:08 am

Hi Everybody,

I was just wondering what the reason was for not releasing a debug versions of SimTKcore on Windows?

Jack Middleton

RE: debug libs on windows

Post by Jack Middleton » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:28 am

The problem we ran into when we tried to release a debug version of Windows was that Microsoft does not have a redistributable for debug libraries. This means that only users with the exact version of Visual Studio, including the same patches, as what we used to build SimTK could use it. We tried compiling with the release with debug info option but this caused numerous problems when users tried to step through the code in the debugger. We are still looking for a solution for releasing a debug version on Windows but have not found one yet.

rob rein

Post by rob rein » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for the reply.
So I suppose the only way would be to build them myself.

Regards
Robert

Jack Middleton

Post by Jack Middleton » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Yes, building all the libraries using the same Visual Studio is the only way to be sure the debugger will work. Note, that if you decide to build your own SimTK you do not have to rebuild the SimTKlapack library because that does not have as many dependencies as the other libraries.

rob rein

Post by rob rein » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 am

Cheers,

Worked all out of the box.
I have one suggestion for the CMakeLists.txt regarding the part where SimTK_INSTALL_PREFIX and SIMTK_SDK are defined.

Instead of

IF(NOT SimTK_INSTALL_PREFIX)
PATHS
"C:/Program Files/SimTK"
)

you could use:

IF(NOT SimTK_INSTALL_PREFIX)
PATHS
"$ENV{PROGRAMFILES}/SimTK"
)

This way CMake starts with a more reasonable default as for example on my german Windows programmes are installed on C:\Programme.

Regards
Robert

Jean-Olivier Racine

Post by Jean-Olivier Racine » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:11 pm

I second the motion. Another example is under Vista 64, where the 32 programs are installed under Program Files (x86).

Michael Sherman

Post by Michael Sherman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks, Rob. I fixed up all the SimTK core CMake files to use the %ProgramFiles% environment variable (really "registry entry") so that will be in the next release.

I filed bug report #752 (now closed) so we can keep track of this fix.

Regards, Sherm