VTKVisualizer

SimTKcore exists as a separate project to provide 'one stop shopping' for SimTK Core software and support, although the software is actually developed as a set of interdependent projects. SimTK 1.0 was released in March 2008, SimTK 2.0 in December, 2009.
M Ali Poursina

VTKVisualizer

Post by M Ali Poursina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:55 am

Hi,

I am working with VTKVisualizer to visualize the behavior of the system. I am wondering if there is a way to save it as a movie. (I ask this, since I want to compare the behavior of the two systems qualitatively.)

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Regards

Michael Sherman

RE: VTKVisualizer

Post by Michael Sherman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:13 am

Hi, Mohammad.

The VTKVisualizer doesn't have a built-in movie making ability. (I think VTK does, though, so it would be great if you or someone else wants to add one!)

However, I have successfully made movies with VTKVisualizer two ways: (1) save the State values as they are generated (in and std::vector<State>, for example). Then at the end of your simulation play them back through the VTKVisualizer's report(State) method. (2) Use a screen capture program like Camtasia to grab the movie as it is playing on your screen.

Option (1) is very easy if it is sufficient but requires your program to be running to play the movie. Option (2) is a little more involved but gives you a movie file at the end. Best would be option (0), add movie making to the visualizer -- any interest in doing that?

Regards,
Sherm

M Ali Poursina

RE: VTKVisualizer

Post by M Ali Poursina » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Sherm,
Thanks for your response. For the time being, we are using display.report(state) to provide the movie. But at some point, I may work on option (0), since we dont want to compare two diffrent case and running their simulations simoltanously.
Thanks again.