WARNING PATH too long installer unable to modify PATH

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
ANDREW LAPRE

Post by ANDREW LAPRE » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm getting an error when trying to install version 3.2.

OpenSim opens however it crashes when I try to open any model.

I'm installing it directly on c:, and have the correct Visual C++ installed, any ideas?

Thanks!
Andy

Ayman Habib

Re: WARNING PATH too long installer unable to modify PATH

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd appreciate if you can provide these additional pieces of information so we can help you troubleshoot:
1. Which installer are you using (e.g. OpenSim 3.2 x64 built with VC10). I'll assume you tried both x64 and x86 and neither worked, if only tried x64 please try the 32 bit version too. Should make no difference unless you're using a matching Matlab installation or a prebuilt plugin.
2. What's the configuration of the machine you're running on: e.g. Windows 8.1 x64
3. If you were able to run earlier versions of OpenSim on the same machine, please specify which version(s).
4. What's the graphics card you're using (AMD/nVidia/Intel) and the specific model.

PATH too long shouldn't affect GUI operation unless the installer aborts and fails to install the runtime libraries which you can install manually by running the executable vc*redist*.exe under the installation_folder/bin.

Thanks much for your help,
-Ayman

ANDREW LAPRE

Post by ANDREW LAPRE » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

1) I was installing the OpenSim-3.2.0-win64VC10P.exe version of the installer. I use the Matlab API so I'm assuming the 32 bit version won't work but I will try it.
2) I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Profesional.
3) I currently have both OpenSim 3.0 and 64 bit 3.1 installed on this machine.
4) My graphics card is a FirePro V5800.

I ran vc10redist_64.exe and I'm still having the same issue.

I appreciate your help!

-Andy

ANDREW LAPRE

Post by ANDREW LAPRE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:03 pm

Just an update, I am able to install 64 bit version 3.1, but still get the same error when installing version 3.2. Also, I tried the 32 bit version and have the same issue.

Not sure if this helps, thanks again.

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:41 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the update.

For the PATH, it's hard to tell if the PATH is really too long or not, can you manually add the installation/bin directory to the front of your PATH?

Regarding 3.2 x64, did you try invoking the API from Matlab? The installation issue could be benign and only specific to the application/GUI rather than the API libraries.

I'd say at this point please file a bug report and include a link to this thread and I'll try to help you troubleshoot and when we have a solution we can post to the forum. It'd also help if you include in the bug report the crash report file (hs_err_pid***.log) usually written to the installation directory when the application crashes.

Thanks much,
-Ayman

ANDREW LAPRE

Post by ANDREW LAPRE » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Here are the first few lines of the error log:

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fee115a206, pid=124, tid=4052
#
# JRE version: 7.0_25-b16
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (23.25-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [OpenSim_SimTKsimbody.dll+0xda206] SimTK::SimbodyMatterSubsystem::updMobilizedBody+0x6
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

I've reinstalled Java but it didn't help. I'll file a bug report if this doesn't help you.

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Andrew,

Please file a bug report.

The stack trace suggests a crash while trying to load a model (either initiated by you or by the presence of an AppState.xml file in the installation directory). Please attach the model you were trying to open with the bug report as well as the full hs_err_* file and I will help you troubleshoot further.

Thanks much,
-Ayman

ANDREW LAPRE

Post by ANDREW LAPRE » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Ayman, it turns out that I was modifying the wrong path (there is one for user and one for the entire environment).

Thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it!
-Andy

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Andy,

No problem. Glad we got this to closure.

It'd be great to post exactly what you had to change and what version/installer you were using (32 or 64 bit) so other users on the forum can benefit as well.

Best regards,
-Ayman

ANDREW LAPRE

Post by ANDREW LAPRE » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 am

No problem.

This applies for both 32 and 64 bit of OpenSim 3.2.

At the end of the install, I was prompted with a window "WARNING PATH too long installer unable to modify PATH". The OpenSim GUI would open, but crash immediately when opening a model.

Per your suggestion I had originally modified the environment variable PATH for my user account in the System Properties, and pasted *installdirectory*\OpenSim 3.2\bin; to the front of the variable manually. After doing so, the GUI kept crashing.

Since I had configured OpenSim during installation to be available to all user accounts, I needed to modify the system variable to include *install_directory*\OpenSim 3.2\bin.

I had recently installed multiple softwares on my computer for another project that each used the environment variable "PATH", making the variable incredibly long. Deleting unused values for the variable would have the same effect.

Hope this helps anyone having the same issues!
-Andy