Error Opening models (even demos)

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Mark de Niet

Error Opening models (even demos)

Post by Mark de Niet » Thu May 15, 2008 3:08 am

Hi,
I have just installed openSim and I am trying to go through the tutorial, but after opening a model file (e.g. BothLegs.osim), I am not getting a model as I would expect (kind of stick-figure), but I see just 2 red balls and get an Java-error (see below). I have reinstalled opensim as well as java.
Any help?
Kind regards,
Mark de Niet (PhD-student)

Error:
"A java.lang.IllegalArgumentException exception has occurred.
Click Show Details or see the messages.log file located in your C:\Documents and Settings\z602134.UMCN.000\Application Data\.opensim\1.5.1\var\log folder."

"System Info:
Product Version = OpenSim 200704122300
Operating System = Windows XP version 5.1 running on x86
Java; VM; Vendor; Home = 1.5.0_06; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 1.5.0_06-b05; Sun Microsystems Inc.; C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre
System Locale; Encoding = nl_NL (opensim); Cp1252
Home Dir.; Current Dir. = C:\Documents and Settings\z602134.UMCN.000; C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5
Installation; User Dir. = C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\opensim;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6; C:\Documents and Settings\z602134.UMCN.000\Application Data\.opensim\1.5.1
Boot & Ext. Classpath = C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\i18n.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\jsse.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\jce.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\charsets.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\classes;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\ext\dnsns.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\ext\localedata.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\ext\sunjce_provider.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\jdk\jre\lib\ext\sunpkcs11.jar
Application Classpath = C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\boot.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\org-openide-modules.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\org-openide-util.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\boot_ja.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\boot_pt_BR.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\boot_zh_CN.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-modules_ja.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-modules_pt_BR.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-modules_zh_CN.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-util_ja.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-util_pt_BR.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-util_zh_CN.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\lib\locale\swing-l10n_pt_BR.jar
Startup Classpath = C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\core.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\org-openide-filesystems.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\locale\core_ja.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\locale\core_pt_BR.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\locale\core_zh_CN.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\locale\org-openide-filesystems_ja.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\locale\org-openide-filesystems_pt_BR.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\platform6\core\locale\org-openide-filesystems_zh_CN.jar;C:\Program Files\OpenSim 1.5\opensim\core\locale\core_opensim.jar"

Ayman Habib

RE: Error Opening models (even demos)

Post by Ayman Habib » Sat May 17, 2008 11:31 pm

Dear Mark,

Installing OpenSim on a virgin machine does not reproduce your problem. It's likely an environment issue. Did you have earlier installations of OpenSim on the same machine? If so I'd remove that first before reinstalling. and did you check the box for "Add OpenSim to the user path" during installation? (you should).

The messages.log file or the stack trace for the exception would be helpful in pinpointing the issue.

In general you do not need to have Java installed separately on the machine since OpenSim ditribution includes the Java Run Time (JRE) it needs.

Good luck,
-Ayman

Mark de Niet

Post by Mark de Niet » Mon May 19, 2008 1:03 am

Dear Ayman,
Thanks for your response. I have deleted any earlier version of OpenSim from my pc and I did check the box for "Add OpenSim to all users" during installation. I have reinstalled OpenSim as well as jaca, and I didn't get an java error anymore, but the program is not yet running smoothly. I do get a stick-figure (bones) after opening a model, but the muscles remain a problem. These do not appear between expected landmarks, but will appear as red balls (rotating the figure will result in red balls, while clicking back to preset-views, the bones will return within the red balls). Going through the tutorial, I have made some plots of muscle-tendon length that seem to be working fine and have expected values. Therefore, it is probably only a visual problem, but I would like to see the muscles correctly. Any suggestions? Maybe I can send you an email with a print-screen of OpenSim?
Mark

Christopher Lee

Post by Christopher Lee » Mon May 19, 2008 1:47 am

Hi,

Try to go in Edit/Preferences and change the size of the markers by changing for example "0.005" in "0,005". I had to replace the "." with the "," with the new version 1.5 last week because I only saw one big ball instead of my model.

Christopher

Pablo Ortega

Post by Pablo Ortega » Wed May 28, 2008 11:55 am

Hi im having the same problem with the model load, only a big red ball or a grey ball, and that solution didnt work any other suggestions?

Mark de Niet

Post by Mark de Niet » Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 pm

Thanks Lee,
This works fine for me.
Mark

Christopher Lee

Post by Christopher Lee » Thu May 29, 2008 5:58 am

Hi,

I just try to reinstall opensim and the solution is fine.
Go to edit/preferences and change only this 2 things:

Marker display radius, ".007" to "0,007"
Muscle display radius, ".005" to "0,005"

and RESTART opensim
I am sure this is it...

Pablo Ortega

Post by Pablo Ortega » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Dear Christopher:
It works perfect thanks for the help.

Andrea Morelli

Post by Andrea Morelli » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 pm

The problem is related to the international settings of the operating system.
For European operating system you need to change international settings to have it works properly.
I use Englis (United States).
What Lee did in the settings is to change this settings in the oftware i think.
In fact "comma" is the decimal European separator equivalent to "dot" in US.
I hope this can help.
Andrea

Bruno Picasso

Post by Bruno Picasso » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:05 am

I have changed the dots with commas in the Edit/Preferences menu and everithings works fine. The problem is related to the convention used by the operating system for the decimal separation.

thank you for your help
Bruno