Static Optimization algorithm

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Philippe Dixon

Static Optimization algorithm

Post by Philippe Dixon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Dear all,

I have implemented static optimization in OpenSim v3.1 using the SO tool with the sum of muscle activations squared as the performance criterion and the "use muscle force-length-velocity relation" box checked. From the equations shown in the user guide, this configuration corresponds exactly to the "physiological" case of Anderson and Pandy. J Biomech 2001 34(2) 153-161, eqns 12 and 14. In this same paper, the authors state that the SO was solved using the "gradient-based sequential quadratic programming algorithm" of Pandy et al. J Biomech Eng 114(4) 450-460. Could anyone please confirm if this is the algorithm currently implemented in OpenSim to solve this SO problem? I haven't been able to find that level of detail on the support site.

Cheers,
PhilD

Dimitar Stanev

Re: Static Optimization algorithm

Post by Dimitar Stanev » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:12 am

Dear PhilD

From what I checked in the source code of SO in the .cpp file line 337 (_optimizerAlgorithm = "ipopt";). So the algorithm which is used is interior point.

Best regards,
Jim

Philippe Dixon

Re: Static Optimization algorithm

Post by Philippe Dixon » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks for looking into this Jim.

Regards,

PhilD