Crash encountered when using visual 3D and opensim

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Bernard Liew

Crash encountered when using visual 3D and opensim

Post by Bernard Liew » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi,

I am a novice in opensim but have been using visual3D (v3d) for quite some time. I am exploring opensim via v3d export function. When using v3d demo files, I can run RRA and CMC. However, when I use my data, it always crashes when running RRA. That naturally leads one to deduce something is wrong with my data or model. But I cannot find anything wrong. In any case, it always crashes instead of generating some form of error.

I hope someone can help me.

Attached are the demo and my data files and the crash log.

Regards,
Bernard Liew
Attachments
hs_err_pid188.log
Crash log
(34.8 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Visual3dtoOpenSimMyData.zip
My data
(6.29 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
V3D to opensim demo.zip
Demo file
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

jimmy d

Re: Crash encountered when using visual 3D and opensim

Post by jimmy d » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi Benard,

Thanks for sending those zips through. It was much easier to diagnose with the files.

From the zip containing your data, I opened the model (Visual3d_simbody_adjusted.osim) and loaded the motion (Visual3d_SIMM_input.mot). Immediately, I could tell that the motion is incorrect. The kinematics look really screwy and the forces are not correct.

To begin with, the max/min for pelvis rotation is being exceeded and causing the sign flip. The trunk angle and pelvis tilt are also way off. The biggest issue is the location of the GRF with respect to the foot. The GRF looks like it's being applied half way up the tibia!

The issue is definitely on the visual3D side. I have never used the visual3d export tool, so I can't give you much advice on what's wrong. I suggest contacting product support and see if they have some advice.

Let us know how it goes,
-James

Bernard Liew

Re: Crash encountered when using visual 3D and opensim

Post by Bernard Liew » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Many thanks James for the quick reply. I will get back with them and post a reply here on the comments.

Regards,
Bernard