Setting minimum dihedral angle when meshing

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Tim Flint

Setting minimum dihedral angle when meshing

Post by Tim Flint » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi,

I am trying to generate a mesh for my geometry in Simvascular using the boundary layer meshing option. When I generate the mesh it appears to complete the surface meshing procedure and then passes off to tetgen where I get the following error:

Found two nearly self-intersecting facets.
1st: [7, 8, 6] #639713280
2nd: [7, 8, 18695] #2
The dihedral angle between them is 0.0863066 degree.
Hint: You may use -p/# to decrease the dihedral angle tolerance 0.1 (degree).
ERROR: TetGen quit and returned error code 3

I then attempted to decrease the dihedral angle tolerance by disabling the -q flag and using 'Other user specified flags: q1.4/0.05' instead. I still received the same error, am I using the user defined flags incorrectly?

Also does anyone know where I could find some information on the surface meshing and boundary layer meshing implementation in Simvascular?

Kind regards,

Tim

Adam Updegrove

Re: Setting minimum dihedral angle when meshing

Post by Adam Updegrove » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi Tim!

Are you able to create a mesh without a boundary layer for your geometry? If you can do this, then you should be able to do one with a boundary layer as well.

You are close to using the flags correctly. You don't need to turn off the -q flag, and you should turn on the -T flag. Then specify your tolerance in the entry box. However, this won't help if there is some other issue and the mesh is self-intersecting because of incorrect or complicated boundary layer specifications.

I would do the following:

1. Make sure you can mesh without a boundary layer
2. Mesh with 1 small boundary layer
3. Incrementally work up in number of boundary layers and boundary layer size until you get what you want (This way you will see if your mesh is getting close to self-intersecting).

The surface meshing and boundary layer meshing are done with the Vascular Modeling Tool Kit, so you can check out vmtk.org for more details on the implementation.

Thanks!

SimVascular Development Team