RRA for gait with unmodeled external loads

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Bernard Liew

RRA for gait with unmodeled external loads

Post by Bernard Liew » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:03 am

Hi I am doing a piece of research on gait with loaded backpacks (up to 20% weight) and exercises with barbells (eg squats). I am just starting out in OpenSim so pardon some novice language. All of which the external devices are not modelled (no markers attached). Naturally, when I ran RRA on my trials it failed. I did manage to get it working but was hoping to get some further input on further refinement. I have a similar post (viewtopicPhpbb.php?f=91&t=5862&p=15770&start=0&view=) but feel a need for a more step wise assistance.

What I did for my gait with backpack trial?

1) Changed RRA_Actuators.xml file, specifically residuals optimal force or torque by a factor of 5 (arbitrary). So optimal torque residual was 10 for example (default was 2).

Results:

Curiously it asked me to reduce my mass ("Total mass change: -0.60114") which appeared strange.
* After torso COM and Kinematics adjustments:
* FX=-0.521321 FY=30.6895 FZ=-4.57665
* MX=3.61648 MY=-1.49324 MZ=11.4203

2) I understand from the user guide increase optimal force for residuals is cheap, and one should increase excitation. When I did not change optimal residual force, but increased excitation up to 1000 (just trialing first), my model still falls slightly into the ground (indicating residuals are insufficient).

Question:

1) Why did it ask me to reduce my mass, when I actually added an external load?
2) In experiments with unmodelled loads, what should be the first approach to ensuring RRA runs, and how should we work backwards? Example, should I find a minimum residual optimal force that ensures the model runs and residuals low? Is there a simple calculation to estimate residuals needed? Eg. if I carry a 10kg (100N) bag, that is 100 N in residuals.
3) Should I increase excitation or optimal force or both of the joint actuators?

I really do appreciate the help.

Regards,
Bernard

jimmy d

Re: RRA for gait with unmodeled external loads

Post by jimmy d » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Bernard,

RRA is trying to reduce the residuals by either i) altering segment COM, or ii) adjusting kinematics. It does not use muscles, just joint torques (purely a torque generated simulation). Does each foot have it's own force (two forceplates were used)? Have you added the additional mass to the trunk model? Have you tried adding a block body to the torso with a weld joint and giving it the mass of the backpack?

-j

Bernard Liew

Re: RRA for gait with unmodeled external loads

Post by Bernard Liew » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:03 am

Hi James,

This is a ridiculously late reply from me. So sorry. But I only had time to play with it now. I have modified the 2392 model, creating a weld joint of the backpack to the torso. Funny thing now is when scaling, there is no error message, just that it keeps scaling and not actually getting scaled. I am unsure what is wrong. I can scale it when just using the normal 2392 model. I am wondering if you could give me some pointers.

I have attached the necessary files just in case. Many thanks for the help.
Test.zip
Attachments
(544.16 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Kind Regards,
Bernard