Installation problems

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Siddharth Srinivasan

RE: Installation problems

Post by Siddharth Srinivasan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:48 pm

I found a very related looking bug at https://simtk.org/tracker/index.php?fun ... 1&atid=435, since I have my own system.h, could that be the problem?

Siddharth Srinivasan

Post by Siddharth Srinivasan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:26 pm

I dont have any of the lib*.a files, there seem to be only the lib*.so files that come with the precompiled version, shouldn't I have these .a files as well?

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:42 pm

The .a files are only needed if you want to statically link OpenMM into your own code. As long as you link to it dynamically, you want the .so files.

Make sure that the openmm/lib directory is in the compiler's library path (use the -L flag with gcc), and also that you specify -lOpenMM to tell it to link to the OpenMM library.

Peter

Siddharth Srinivasan

Post by Siddharth Srinivasan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Ok, thanks for your help. I gave up on the precompiled libraries, and rebuilt from source. I'm pretty unfamiliar with cmake, so I had to spend quite a bit of time going through the CMakeLists and comment out all the BROOK specific stuff, since I have no idea how to configure it on the CLI. Also, you need to add -lOpenMM_static_d, and not -lOpenMM. Hopefully I can actually work on the code now, rather than compiling it!

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:43 am

Oh dear, I'm afraid you've made things much more difficult for yourself than they needed to be! There's no need to edit any CMakeList.txt files. The easy way to use CMake is to run the "ccmake" command. It provides a UI that lists all the available options and lets you configure them. One of the options is called OPENMM_BUILD_BROOK_LIB. Turn that option off, and it won't try to compile any of the Brook code.

Peter