How to create bowlegs(Genu varum)

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Taizo FUJII

How to create bowlegs(Genu varum)

Post by Taizo FUJII » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi,everyone.

I am trying to create the human body that is bowlegs(Genu varum).
model.jpg
model.jpg (135.47 KiB) Viewed 231 times
I tried to execute bowlegs by moving the coordinates of femur in the positive direction of the Z axis and moving the coordinates of tibia in the positive direction. However, model's legs becomes straight.
bowlegs.JPG
bowlegs.JPG (31.46 KiB) Viewed 231 times
Is it possible to make the human body that is bowlegs(Genu varum)?
If it is possible, please tell me how to make bowlegs(Genu varum).

Josh Baxter

Re: How to create bowlegs(Genu varum)

Post by Josh Baxter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 am

Two ideas off the top of my head... you can modify the joint(1) or modify the bodies(2)... depending on how you want the knee joint to function.

modify the joint:
1. A second degree of freedom could be added to the knee joint (frontal plane) - and the resulting gencoord could either be prescribed (or locked) or allowed to be free and move as a function of the markers.

2. Another way would be to change the orientation of the child (tibia) in the parent frame (femur).

modify the body:
1. change the location of the joints (knee and maybe ankle) in their parent bodies to simulated a deformed long bone. This should allow the joints to behave normally, but the bodies would insert into the joints at a user-defined angle. This would require some scaling or editing of the graphic files for visualization to make sense.