Importing force data from Vicon into OpenSim

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Cai Birch

Importing force data from Vicon into OpenSim

Post by Cai Birch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 am

I'm trying to import force data from Vicon and I'm using the Lee-Son toolbox to convert the csv file into usable data for opensim. The issue that I am having is that the Lee-Son toolbox will crash when I try to convert data and does not offer any explanation as to why. I've looked at the Lee-Son toolbox documentation but it lacks content and is not written for the the most recent Vicon Nexus software. I've also tried editing my csv file as shown online but with no success.

Could anyone offer more concise instructions how to successfully convert Vicon force data please?

Aaron Fox

Re: Importing force data from Vicon into OpenSim

Post by Aaron Fox » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Cai,

If you're using the most recent version of Vicon Nexus I believe there is now an "Export MOT" option in the file export pipelines. In my experience this also transforms the force data coordinate system to OpenSim's coordinate system as it looks like this is what the command was specifically designed for (see Vicon Documentation - https://bit.ly/2IcmisK). I think you would still need to create the .xml that associates the GRF with a movement though.

Aaron