about model and meshing

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Dai Xiao Dai

about model and meshing

Post by Dai Xiao Dai » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:10 am

I want to put a tube inside the aorta. So I drew two groups of segmentations along one path and created a model. However, this model failed to mesh. Why?
If I want to delete the part like the tube from the aorta to get a hollow pipe. What should I do?

Adam Updegrove

Re: about model and meshing

Post by Adam Updegrove » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi Dai,

Thank you for the post. I first need clarification on whether you want the inner tube to extend all the way through the outlets of the outer tube and form a complete annulus along the entire length. In this case, you will need to use a subtraction operation outside of SimVascular to obtain a valid model. Then meshing will be performed similar to how you would for a regular model.

However, if the inner tube does not extend all the way through the outlets of the outer tube, you can use a relatively new feature in the SimVascular meshing module for multi-domain meshing that allows you to prescribe different mesh edge sizes in volume regions and create meshes with holes. You will need to select the 'Multi-Domain' tab. Click the 'Add Hole' button and choose a 3D point location that is within your inner model region. This should produce a mesh with a hole in the middle. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Thanks!

SimVascular Development Team

chijun wei

Post by chijun wei » Wed May 30, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Adam,
I want to insert a short tube in LAD. The tube does not extend to the inlets or outlets of the model. And the tube does not allow blood flow in it. (You can regard it as a bar.) I try to use the multi-domain meshing to create meshes with holes. But I do not know how to control the shape of the hole and make it looks like the tube that I need. Could you tell me how to use the multi-domain meshing in detail?
Thanks,
Miyanaga Jun

Adam Updegrove

Post by Adam Updegrove » Wed May 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi Miyanaga,

The shape of the hole is determined by the shape of the inner surface (the bar). You will create a model with both your LAD and the bar. They don't intersect anywhere, but should be contained within one model. Make sure to convert all surfaces of the bar to wall surfaces. Then, add a hole in the multi-domain meshing section. The location of the point given here needs to be within the bar surface. With a valid mesh edge size, this should give a mesh with a hole.

Thanks!

chijun wei

Post by chijun wei » Thu May 31, 2018 3:22 am

Hi Adam,
Thanks for your patience and response. Now I have created the model correctly. :D
I have another question and hope you could answer me.
My friend finished two simulations following the tutorial (SVProject and Coronary). However, when she opened average result.vtp, the one from SVProject(about 1213K) showed many results such as, average pressure, vOsi. The one from Coronary(about 598K) just had average pressure without vOsi and other results.
In order to find the difference, she restarted the SVProject, created a new job and ran the same simulation again. However, this time average result.vtp(about 628K) lost part of results just like the one of Coronary. Do you know what's wrong with it?
Thanks!
Miyanaga Jun

Adam Updegrove

Post by Adam Updegrove » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 am

Hi Miyanaga,

Glad to hear it!

Do you think you (or your friend) could start a new thread with your question? Just so we can keep topics separated and organized?

Thanks!