Custom movements of markers

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Rejin Varghese

Custom movements of markers

Post by Rejin Varghese » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25 am

Dear experts,

I am working on some upper-limb motion tracking, and had some doubts about associating movement to a marker.
OpenSimMarkersCircled.png
OpenSimMarkersCircled.png (256.55 KiB) Viewed 825 times

In this image, the circled markers ideally would remain static as they are assocated with the thorax, but in a real scenario they would have some movements. My question is - can I associate the circled markers to have some movements that is a function of the joint angles and not just a direct rotation or keep them fixed. Is there a provision to do anything like that ?

Thank you for all your help and advice in advance,

Regards,

Rejin

Tags:

jimmy d

Re: Custom movements of markers

Post by jimmy d » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:01 am

ideally would remain static as they are assocated with the thorax, but in a real scenario they would have some movements.
Relative to what? Are you saying that the Model Markers would have motion relative to the Thorax since there is soft tissue between them?
can I associate the circled markers to have some movements that is a function of the joint angles and not just a direct rotation or keep them fixed.
Model markers can only be attached, rigidly, to bodies.

Rejin Varghese

Post by Rejin Varghese » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 am

Relative to what? Are you saying that the Model Markers would have motion relative to the Thorax since there is soft tissue between them?
Apologies for not being clearer about that. Yes, I meant - is there a straightforward way to incorporate soft tissue induced movements that could be a function of joint angles. I could possibly move markers programmatically, but wanted to know if there was a more direct way.

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:41 pm

is there a straightforward way to incorporate soft tissue induced movements that could be a function of joint angles
You could mount each marker on a separate body and specify the motion of these bodies relative to the thorax as functions of model coordinates. It may be challenging to determine what these functions should be.

Rejin Varghese

Post by Rejin Varghese » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:52 am

You could mount each marker on a separate body and specify the motion of these bodies relative to the thorax as functions of model coordinates. It may be challenging to determine what these functions should be.
Thank you Thomas for that suggestion, I'll try to see if I can do that.

Thank you once again both James and Thomas for the suggestions.