Multiple end point to a muscle/ widen the muscle

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Yokhesh KrishnasamyTamilselvam

Multiple end point to a muscle/ widen the muscle

Post by Yokhesh KrishnasamyTamilselvam » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi,

I am just starting out with opensim for my PhD research.
I am trying to build a entire arm simulation to measure muscle torque for various movements
For certain muscles like Abductor Pollicis, i require the muscle to have multiple end points or increase the width of the muscle.
I tried increasing the scale factor in the muscle but, i was not able to increase the width of the muscle.
Please let me know if it is possible to increase the width of a muscle and also divide/add multiple end points to a single muscle.
I have attached the image of the muscle that I have created using opensim (opensim_model.png) and also the original muscle (original_muscle.png).
Looking forward to hearing from you soon..

Thank you.
Attachments
original_muscle.png
Original muscle that i want to simulate
original_muscle.png (103.4 KiB) Viewed 252 times
opensim_model.png
My Opensim model
opensim_model.png (60.66 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Tags:

Aaron Fox

Re: Multiple end point to a muscle/ widen the muscle

Post by Aaron Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Yokhesh,

You might benefit from examining some of the lower limb models to see how this has been done with larger muscles. I believe for muscles like the gluteus maximus (which have wider spanning attachment points) they are split into different components (e.g. anterior, middle, posterior) by effectively modelling them as three separate muscles.

I'd also be interested in any advice stemming from this question, but more so around the idea of 'splitting' muscles. In certain surgeries muscles are 'split' and reattached in a different manner, and I'd be interested to know if anyone had experience with this and how it could be modelled (e.g. if you split a muscle into two components do you half the strength for each, do things like optimal fiber length stay the same etc.).

Aaron

Yokhesh KrishnasamyTamilselvam

Post by Yokhesh KrishnasamyTamilselvam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the response.
Like you mentioned, I was able to build the corresponding muscle using the two or more muscle fibers combined.
Thank you..

Shivangi Giri

Post by Shivangi Giri » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi Yokhesh,
I just came across your post and would like to ask how you combined two segments into one muscle. I wish to represent the rectus femoris muscle using two line segments instead of one, which is the case in most of the lower limb models in OpenSIM. I have already tried what Aaron suggested could be tried i.e. splitting max isometric force but keeping the lengths same but it does not seem to work.
Your help will be really appreciated.

Regards,
Shivangi