Ligament bending

Overall purposes of the project are:

1) To provide free access to a three-dimensional finite element representation of the knee joint

2) Open development of a knee model for collaborative testing and use
Sebastian Urbanowski

Ligament bending

Post by Sebastian Urbanowski » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Dear community of simtk,
I have problem with LCL and MCL unphisiological bending. I runned simulation of knee bending in febio. The ligaments were bended in wrong way. I checked material mode, and its fine. What should i do to fix it?
I will be really greatfull for help.

Best Regards,
Sebastian

Ahmet Erdemir

Re: Ligament bending

Post by Ahmet Erdemir » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:50 am

Hi Sebastian,

Can you clarify what you mean by unphysiological bending of LCL and MCL? Are they penetrating the bone surface? If so, this can be resolved by activating contact between these ligaments and bones.

Ahmet

Sebastian Urbanowski

Post by Sebastian Urbanowski » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:39 am

Hi Ahmet,
The ligaments are penetrating the bone as you said. But it's not a problem. The main issue is extra bending. If I think correctly the LCL and MCL should were shorten when knee is bending. In my simulation the ligaments are bending when knee is bending.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Attachments
ligaments_bending1.PNG
ligaments_bending1.PNG (187.73 KiB) Viewed 876 times

Ahmet Erdemir

Post by Ahmet Erdemir » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:15 am

The bending that you see is expected as the ligaments have a ground substance with a small but stabilizing modulus (providing compression and bending stiffness). You can set that ground substance to zero to represent a purely tension only ligament material. Yet, the simulation will likely have convergence issues.

Best,
Ahmet