Information about bct.dat file for customized inlet boundary condition

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Valentina Scarponi

Information about bct.dat file for customized inlet boundary condition

Post by Valentina Scarponi » Wed May 27, 2020 9:46 am

Hello,

I am working on cardiovascular simulations. I would like to set a customized inlet boundary condition, with an inlet patient-specific velocity profile, not Parabolic, Plug or Womersley. I have a few questions:
1) Is it possible to do it using SimVascular?
2) To this aim, I replaced the bct.dat file automatically generated by SimVascular with the one containing the customized velocity profile that I have generated, is it correct?
3) I have generated the BCT file using the instructions found at the page http://simvascular.github.io/docsFlowSo ... ml#bctfile, but I do not understand what is the parameter nn in the second line.
4) According to the available documentation if the BCT.dat file is set properly in the solver.inp file, the bct.vtp file is not necessary to run the simulation, is it correct?
5) If I do not know the global node id of the discretized geometry, may I set only the coordinates in the BCT Matching Type in the solver.inp file to run correctly the simulation?

Thanks and best regards,
Valentina

David Parker

Re: Information about bct.dat file for customized inlet boundary condition

Post by David Parker » Thu May 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi Valentina,

1) Is it possible to do it using SimVascular?

It is possible to use a custom file for the inlet boundary conditions.

2) To this aim, I replaced the bct.dat file automatically generated by SimVascular with the one containing the customized velocity profile that I have generated, is it correct?

Correct!

3) I have generated the BCT file using the instructions found at the page http://simvascular.github.io/docsFlowSo ... ml#bctfile, but I do not understand what is the parameter nn in the second line.

The nn parameter is the global node ID for the given node in the inlet face.

4) According to the available documentation if the BCT.dat file is set properly in the solver.inp file, the bct.vtp file is not necessary to run the simulation, is it correct?

Correct, the bct.vtp file is just used for visualization purposes.

5) If I do not know the global node id of the discretized geometry, may I set only the coordinates in the BCT Matching Type in the solver.inp file to run correctly the simulation?

Using BCT Matching Type solver.inp parameter seems to work.

Cheers,
Dave