How to pass the whole body mass

OpenSim Moco is a software toolkit to solve optimal control problems with musculoskeletal models defined in OpenSim using the direct collocation method.
Mritula Chandrasekaran

How to pass the whole body mass

Post by Mritula Chandrasekaran » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:11 am

Hi,
I am trying to apply Mocotrack and track the subject gait and later predict it with changed mass. How can I pass the overall mass value range like passing overall tracking weight
track.set_states_global_tracking_weight(10);
Thanks,
Mritula

Aaron Fox

Re: How to pass the whole body mass

Post by Aaron Fox » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi Mritula,

This sounds like a problem you'd deal with outside of Moco. You would change the mass of your model external to the MocoTrack object (e.g. via scaling to a different mass, or manually changing the mass and inertial properties of bodies in the model) - and then simply pass the different models through the MocoTrack object on different simulation iterations. Make sense?

Aaron

Mritula Chandrasekaran

Post by Mritula Chandrasekaran » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:21 pm

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I know to do it via scaling. Was just curious if it could be done via moco. Will stick on to do it via scaling.

Thanks,
Mritula

Aaron Fox

Post by Aaron Fox » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 am

Sounds like you've got it under control :D

It makes sense to do simple changes in mass as part of scaling, given mass is a component of the model. You would probably only incorporate this in Moco if you were trying to optimise mass as a parameter for a given scenario (e.g. optimal mass distribution in the bodies to minimise residual actuation on the pelvis - similar to RRA?). The sliding mass example with Moco is a pretty simple example of a mass optimisation problem I suppose.

Good luck with your study.

Aaron

Mritula Chandrasekaran

Post by Mritula Chandrasekaran » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:57 am

Thanks, Aaron, will definitely check it up.

Mritula