1D simulation for a Network Geometry

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Deepa M

1D simulation for a Network Geometry

Post by Deepa M » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:35 am

Hi All,

I'm new here, I have been going through the docs to understand how to perform 1D simulation of a network geometry. The network has 1 inlet and 1 outlet, pressure BC has to be imposed at the inlet and flow BC at the outlet (i.e inflow = outflow). I want to perform a static simulation and not a transient simulation to estimate pressure at the nodes and velocities of the segments.
I have the input coordinates of all nodes, connectivity of nodes, and resistance of each segment. I'd like to know if it is possible to estimate the nodal pressures in SimVasular. If yes, I would like to how to set this up ( links to examples of similar kind of a system will be really helpful)?

Weiguang Yang

Re: 1D simulation for a Network Geometry

Post by Weiguang Yang » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am

For a network geometry, you need to set JOINT (node), JOINTINLET (parent segments for each node) and JOINTOUTLET (child segments for each node) in the input file in addition to segment length and size.
In a tree like model, the number of segments in JOINTINLET is 1. For a network, you may set the number of segments in JOINTINLET >1.

https://simvascular.github.io/docs1DSim ... input-file

Imposing a pressure BC at the inlet and flow at the outlet may not work in SV 1D solver. I suggest to impose flow at the inlet and use a resistance boundary condition at the outlet to perform a steady simulation.