Using of EMG and MoCap data together

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Yury G.

Using of EMG and MoCap data together

Post by Yury G. » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi guys!
We have a full-body suit with 14 IMU sensors and a bunch of electrodes for measuring EMG from major muscle groups.
Currently, we get decent motion data by passing IMU readings into InverseKinematicsSolver() and looking forward to using EMG capabilities.
So the question is what are typical uses of a combination of EMG and MoCap data?
Can we validate EMG with MoCap and vice versa? Or maybe we can use EMG to enhance motions that we get from IK?
By the way thanks for your amazing work on OpenSim!

Tags:

Thomas Uchida

Re: Using of EMG and MoCap data together

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:23 pm

You could use EMG to specify muscle excitations in a forward simulation, or use EMG to validate the muscle activity computed by a tool like CMC. There are some examples from previous OpenSim studies described in this paper: Hicks et al. Is my model good enough? Best practices for verification and validation of musculoskeletal models and simulations of movement. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 137(2):020905. http://nmbl.stanford.edu/publications/pdf/Hicks2015.pdf.

Yury G.

Re: Using of EMG and MoCap data together

Post by Yury G. » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:48 am

Thanks a lot! I'll read the paper and will get back on forum If I'll have any questions left.