OpenSim crashes during ID-Analysis

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Andreas Vollenweider

OpenSim crashes during ID-Analysis

Post by Andreas Vollenweider » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:07 am

Hi, maybe somebody has an input for me.

I use OpenSim 2.0.1 for a simulation of a swaying gait trial. I scaled an existing UpperLowerBody model (,which I attached markers to) to fit my static trial and then made a Inverse Kinematic Analysis. The resulting motion was stored in an *.sto file. Also I made a file containing the ground reaction forces in the format which is required by OpenSim.

Now, whenever I try to do an Inverse Dynamic Analysis with said data (scaled Modell with markerset, motion file from IK, ground reaction forces in a *.mot file) OpenSim crashes within 10seconds after I press the "Run" button without any kind of error-message.

With the same set of files i get the same results on three other computers. So the computer can be eliminated as a source of the error.

I would be glad if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Andreas Vollenweider

Chris Zirker

RE: OpenSim crashes during ID-Analysis

Post by Chris Zirker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:15 am

ID is also crashing on me. It loads in my kinematics and forces fine, but closes the program when it tries to actually execute the analysis. This happens both from the GUI and command line The error log indicates:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# Internal Error (0xe06d7363), pid=5512, tid=4560
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C [kernel32.dll+0x12afb]
#

Andreas, you should be able to find this log file (titled something like hs_err_pidxxxx.log) in the working directory where you're keeping your model and data and the like. I'm trying to apply loads at four points on the body simultaneously (I'm studying rock climbing), so my problem is likely a bit different than yours...

Rebecca Routson

Post by Rebecca Routson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 pm

OpenSim was crashing for me too during ID. I think it helped that I hardcoded the exact directories where I wanted the files accessed.
I don't know if that will help.
Becca

Andreas Vollenweider

Post by Andreas Vollenweider » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 am

It seems that our problems might be the same after all. Found the error files (thanks for pointing me there) and it (well there are several, but most) say

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# Internal Error (0xe06d7363), pid=4136, tid=2572
#
# JRE version: 6.0_18-b07
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (16.0-b13 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [KERNELBASE.dll+0x9617]
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

and some others say "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION"

could you maybe update me on any of your findings regarding that error?

Andreas Vollenweider

Post by Andreas Vollenweider » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:02 am

Hi Rebecca,
Are you using command line or GUI?
And by hardcoded you mean in an .xml-file and not filling in the form manually?
Thank you
Andy

Rebecca Routson

Post by Rebecca Routson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 am

Andy,

I am using two XML's to run the ID (one for setup and one for the forces). And by hardcoded I mean that within the forces XML I point to the exact directory not just the local file extension where my MOT is...

something like:
<datafile>E:\Becca\Session 1\Becca Stairs 01.mot</datafile>

instead of :
<datafile>Becca Stairs 01.mot</datafile>

Hope that might help...

Becca

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi All,

regarding the hs_err_pidxxxx.log files, they will almost always refer at the top of the stack trace to some low level library but that's not really where the problem is, the problems are usually many levels up on the stack-trace.

So far, I got no examples to reproduce this crash. Can anybody please file a bug and attach models/setup/data files.

Chris, can you please provide a motion file with more than 2 forces to check the previewer functionality?

Thanks,
-Ayman

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi all, i just found the same problem on version 2.0.1, but after i confirmed that the ID normal on version 1.9.3, then i realized maybe it's fault of version 2.0.1.

So, i just used the result which generated from older version OpenSim to continue the following steps. Just FYI, maybe this is not the completely solution, but it could help you to move forward.

Ayman, i could compressed my relative files and exact parameters.

Hope to help.
Yi.
tinyvane@gmail.com

Chris Zirker

Post by Chris Zirker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 am

OK, bug report submitted (although I didn't get any kind of confirmation that my submission was successful.) For anyone interested in taking a look at it, a zip file containing the model, motion capture kinematics and forces, xml files and resulting error message can be found here: http://people.virginia.edu/~caz3b/id-lead02.zip

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Chris, i just downloaded your zip file and found the skeleton shown in the OpenSim v2 a little weird, and I made a capture as following,

http://www.wuliaole.com/downloads/Capture2.JPG

which step i got wrong? Thanks, i meant to repeat your ID step and saw what happeded.

Thanks.
Yi.