Relation between experimental EMG and muscle excitations output from OpenSim

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Ratna Sambhav

Relation between experimental EMG and muscle excitations output from OpenSim

Post by Ratna Sambhav » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 am

Hello,

Is there a way I can understand the similarity between EMG and muscle excitation?
Muscle excitations, as explained in OpenSim, is a combination of motor recruitment and firing frequency, and through EMG also, I think, we record almost the same thing.
So, can we assume both to be exactly same?

Regards,
Ratna

Tags:

Thomas Uchida

Re: Relation between experimental EMG and muscle excitations output from OpenSim

Post by Thomas Uchida » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 pm

There's a discussion of this in Hicks et al. "Is my model good enough? Best practices for verification and validation of musculoskeletal models and simulations of movement." ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 137(2):020905 (http://nmbl.stanford.edu/publications/pdf/Hicks2015.pdf, in the Case Study on page 17).

Ratna Sambhav

Re: Relation between experimental EMG and muscle excitations output from OpenSim

Post by Ratna Sambhav » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:00 am

Thanks Thomas Uchida,

This paper is exactly what I wanted.
But it seems activations has to be taken, not excitation, along with the electromechanical delay, to compare with EMG data, as in paper. I'll go through it.

Ratna