Aortic valve-Meshing

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Atefeh Razavi

Aortic valve-Meshing

Post by Atefeh Razavi » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to mesh such a geometry in SV (for a solid wall)?

Thank you!
AV.PNG
AV.PNG (299.49 KiB) Viewed 562 times

Vijay Vedula

Re: Aortic valve-Meshing

Post by Vijay Vedula » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:16 pm

It looks like there are intersections (contact) between leaflet and outer wall. If you can get rid of them in any CAD software, you should be able to mesh the model.

Atefeh Razavi

Post by Atefeh Razavi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks Vijay, could you clarify more by get rid of the connection of the leaflets and the wall?
leaflets are connected to the aortic wall and there is a contact between them.

Thank you!

Vijay Vedula

Post by Vijay Vedula » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:47 am

SimVascular does not allow you to model leaflet dynamics. However, you could still model flow around fixed leaflets that are, for example, fully opened to get reasonably accurate flow patterns downstream of the valve.

The image you shared seem to have leaflets penetrating into the aorta. The leaflets could still be in contact with the aorta so that it is fluid-tight but they cannot penetrate as SimVascular will then have trouble extracting faces and generating volumetric mesh. Moreover, the tips of the leaflets look very sharp and rugged. That's why I was suggesting to clean up the surface to remove any penetrations and smooth sharp corners/edges. Ultimately when you extract faces on your imported model, the entire aortic wall and the leaflets should appear as a single face in SimVascular. Otherwise, you will have issues meshing the volume.

Atefeh Razavi

Post by Atefeh Razavi » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Thanks, This is the fully open state of the valve. By fluid tight, you mean that the leaflet wall should be part of the aortic wall?
All wall faces of this imported model were combined into one wall in the modeling section but meshing did not work.

Vijay Vedula

Post by Vijay Vedula » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Yes, it is convenient if the leaflet is smoothly attached to the aortic wall and part of it.

If surface triangles intersect or penetrate, SV will have trouble meshing it even if you combine them to be part of the wall. If you could share the model somewhere, I will be happy to take a look at it closely.

Atefeh Razavi

Post by Atefeh Razavi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:54 am

Thank you, sure!
I remember once I shared a file with David Parker on a GitHub link that he sent.
I was wondering where I can share the model with you.