OpenSim crashes during ID-Analysis

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Chris Zirker

RE: OpenSim crashes during ID-Analysis

Post by Chris Zirker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Oops, I should've included the geometry files. I've fixed the zip file to include them, now just make sure that the geometry folder is in the same directory as the model and OpenSim should recognize it. If you still have a problem, then you'll need to set the Geometry path using "Edit>Preferences>Geometry Path" in the Gui.

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, i got the same situation here, only difference is that the Freezing Status continues about 4-5 minutes...Then the OpenSim crashes and end up writing a error log file "hs_err_pid3508.log", which is helpful for authors but useless for us..

But I learned from your projects about 4 points force applied to the body, which is amazing.

Good luck
Yi.

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Yi,

I was able to run your model inverse dynamics without problem when I changed the start time of the analysis from 0.0 to 0.1. There's a problem running the analysis from exactly the same bounds as the data and I'll fix it but that's something to keep in mind for now.

Also note that, the external forces files, although would work with old headers "ground_force_vx, ...." are not recommended, instead I'd suggest you make headers with unique labels going forward and use the GUI to build those xml files.

Hope this helps
-Ayman

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Thank you Ayman,

When you referring the new headers, you mean I should modify the Header name in .mot file, from ground_force_vx
ground_force_vy
ground_force_vz

to

ground_force_vx(1)
ground_force_vy(1)
ground_force_vz(1)

for another applied force point? Am I right? Because the ground_force_vx in old version .mot files, was read by consequence not by unique name?

Thanks.
Yi.

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:50 pm

What GUI tools could help to build that .mot file? or header? I couldn't figure any options in menu to do that?

Thanks.
Yi.

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Yi,

Yes, or just use more meaningful names like ground_force_right_fx, ground_force_right_fy,...

The motion files are regular ASCII text files so you should be able to edit them in VisualStudio or notepad or any similar text editing software.

Note that if you never edit the file using the new GUI, you'll be fine with the auto-generated file, I see problems when there's a mix of PrescribedForces where some were imported while others are created by the GUI.

-Ayman

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes, I have encountered the problem, after I add the name which is exactly the same as that in new external force GUI, the ID just crashed..
I got no reason, when I changed the name back like removing the "(1)" from the ground_force_vx(1), the ID backed to normal.

My .mot file were created by myself which I removed the data from Gait2354 and adding our GRF data into it.

So, please tell me how to generate the .mot file by GUI?

Thanks in advance.
Yi.

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:14 pm

I think maybe I've known how to do with that, just i minutes, I would come back with update.

Thanks.

Yi Wang

Post by Yi Wang » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Yes, I was wrong, I thought (1) alike name was the OpenSim specified the Header, then the idea came to that it mean the duplicated name so the OpenSim adding a (1) to distinguish the two different name.

And what's amazing that after I modified the header name, the time range could work normal from exactly the 0 second, i don't why, i just become normal..

Thanks for your help and tips.
Yi.

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Chris,

Your model has a bunch of bodies with 0. masses which is not appropriate for Inverse Dynamics.

-Ayman