Upper Extremity Model

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Brooke Odle

Upper Extremity Model

Post by Brooke Odle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi, I am new to OpenSim and was wondering if there is any way to modify the model to simulate a pathology, like spinal cord injury. Also, are there guidelines for the model is the accompanying paper the only documentation for the model?

Ayman Habib

RE: Upper Extremity Model

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Brooke,

Depends on what you want to model. If all what you want to model is different excitation patterns for the muscles then there's a file (usually *_controls.xml) that contains the excitation patterns for different muscles that you can view and modify using the Excitation Editor tool (Edit->Excitations).

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Brooke Odle

RE: Upper Extremity Model

Post by Brooke Odle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks for your reply, Ayman. I'm trying to use the model to model the upper extremity movements and muscle excitation of a person with a severe spinal cord injury while he is engaging in manual wheelchair propulsion. I have EMG data and marker data, but some of the EMG data I have are for muscles not included in the model (middle & upper trapezius, rhomboids major, and serratus anterior). Is there a way that I can add these muscles to the model? The motion files I have contain movement of the trunk. Will I be able to get movement of the trunk with this model? Thank you!