SCONE use-case for validation

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
suparna dey

SCONE use-case for validation

Post by suparna dey » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to biomechanics and multibody simulations. I have a predictive model that generates joint moment trajectories. I would like to validate how these predicted trajectories effect the metabolic cost. While searching possible ways to do so, I came across SCONE. I would like to seek your advice as to if this use-case is possible using SCONE. If yes, could someone please point me to roughly the steps I should follow to have a good validation?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: SCONE use-case for validation

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:22 am

Welcome to the SCONE forum! What kind of predictive model did you use to compute the joint moment trajectories? SCONE can compute metabolic cost, but it also computes the muscle forces, joint moments, and resulting kinematics. It may be easier to use your predictive model inside SCONE.

suparna dey

Post by suparna dey » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 am

Hello Thomas,

Thank you very much for the quick response. I use a machine learning model for predicting the joint moments. If it is possible to integrate this model with SCONE, this would be great.
If not, I would also be happy to know how I could "input" my predicted moments into the SCONE, so that it uses my predictions to compute the metabolic cost.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Thanks and Regards,

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:52 am

I'm afraid it's not possible to compute metabolic cost with precomputed joint moments. In order to compute metabolic cost in SCONE, you need a model with muscle actuators and use muscle excitation for control. If you only have joint moments, perhaps you can compute the mechanical work for each joint directly. For this you won't need to use SCONE.

suparna dey

Post by suparna dey » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:36 am

Hello Thomas,

Thank you very much for your reply. I just have one extended question. Is there a way to get the muscle activations from the joint moments in SCONE?

Thanks and Regards

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:26 am

This is something for which you should use OpenSim.