Virtual IMUs with IMUPlacer:

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Musa Audu

Virtual IMUs with IMUPlacer:

Post by Musa Audu » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 pm

I have two questions about IMUPlacer:
1. Is it possible to place virtual IMUs on a model? By this I mean specify an IMU at a given location and orientation on a given segment so it's output would simulate that of a real IMU when the segment moves? I want to study the impact of IMU placement and orientation before doing any experiments with them.
2. I want to place multiple IMUs on the same segment and specify their locations and orientations programmatically - via API (C++). How can I do that without creating any .sto files?
Thanks.
Musa

Tags:

Ayman Habib

Re: Virtual IMUs with IMUPlacer:

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Hello,

Perfect timing.

Release 4.3 (available in Beta now) has this new capability where virtual IMUs can be created and attached to arbitrary frames on the model. These virtual IMUs can report the readings of a typical IMU placed on the model. The IMUPlacer has been upgraded to place IMUs rather than just frames on the model. Please consult the release notes, changelog and documentation of version 4.3 (look for OpenSim::IMU component, and OpenSenseUtilities::addModelIMUs method) and let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
-Ayman

Musa Audu

Re: Virtual IMUs with IMUPlacer:

Post by Musa Audu » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Great, Thanks Ayman. I will get to that version and see how this works.