Can an OpenSim simulation include maintenance of posture?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Humans Clinic

Post by Humans Clinic » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:56 am

Muscles are activated even when there's no movement, to maintain posture, balance etc., or to stabilise or prevent unwanted movement when some other movement in the body occurs. Will a simulation take into account the muscles activated for this purpose?

eg of an inverse problem: I'd like to know which muscles my model are firing just in standing position, without movement. By extension, I'd like to compare how these activation patterns are different for another model with scoliosis.

Is this possible?

Tags:

Humans Clinic

Re: Can an OpenSim simulation include maintenance of posture?

Post by Humans Clinic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:23 am

bump

Humans Clinic

Post by Humans Clinic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:38 am

bump bump

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 am

The "Overview of OpenSim Workflows" page in the documentation (https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... +Workflows) describes some common uses of OpenSim; perhaps check that out to see what's available. If the joint angles are constant, then the computed muscle forces will be constant (depending on how you perform such a simulation, there may be transients as activations reach steady state). If you have data of someone swaying while standing, then the muscle forces will be computed to track the swaying motion. Yes, muscles would need to be generating force to keep a model standing, unless gravity has been set to zero.