plugin's GUI in OpenSim GUI?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Tomas Kment

plugin's GUI in OpenSim GUI?

Post by Tomas Kment » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:42 am

Hello,

I have a plugin written in C++ and my task is to make GUI for the plugin. There are two approaches that I can think of. Extern GUI, that's not fixed to OpenSim GUI at all or Intern GUI. I'm interested in the intern approach. Is there a way that I can customize OpenSim GUI without adding or modifying GUI source code?

To be more specific, here is an example. I would like to have an item in menubar where Tools are located. This item would OnClick show my window (form) with my GUI that would modify plugin's (written in C++) values or run the plugin. Is there a way to make this possible? Have you encountered this kind of approach before? If this approach is not possible or viable would the extern approach work?

Thanks in advance,
Tomas

Tags:

Nathan Pickle

Re: plugin's GUI in OpenSim GUI?

Post by Nathan Pickle » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:32 am

Hi Tomas,
I have also looked into this briefly, and the documentation page below should get you started:

https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... UI+Modules

It's a little outdated, but I have been able to use this general workflow to add an item to the OpenSim GUI menus.

Depending on what you're doing, you will likely end up needing to write a little bit of your own code to run the plugin. That's not something I have tried yet, but the OpenSim dev team may be able to help you once you get to that point.

-Nathan

Tomas Kment

Re: plugin's GUI in OpenSim GUI?

Post by Tomas Kment » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:29 pm

Thanks a lot Nathan, that's what I have been looking for! This should get me started, if not, I will try to ask devs :)

-Tomas