Maximize Velocity of a Body Segment

OpenSim Moco is a software toolkit to solve optimal control problems with musculoskeletal models defined in OpenSim using the direct collocation method.
Nicholas Bianco

Re: Maximize Velocity of a Body Segment

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:17 am

Hi Tylan,

Unfortunately, finding the max element across time like this is not possible in Moco. You could technically calculate the maximum value over time, but the "max()" operation is non-smooth and won't play nice with direct collocation.

As an alternative, instead of using a max() function, you could set the hand velocity to a large exponent in the integrand which will approximate the maximum hand velocity.

Best,
Nick

Evan Dooley

Post by Evan Dooley » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:20 am

Hi Ty,

I'm not sure about the starting the new goal problem, but for your previous question about being able to get the value from a Vec3 to be usable I've had success with the command "osimVec3ToArray()" where the input between the parentheses is the Vec3 object. This returns a 1x3 matrix that you can then use the values of to do calculations.

However, the vec3Obj.get(index) that you have above should work as well, so I might also double check that "hand.getOutput('linear_velocity')" is actually returning a "Vec3" object.

Good luck,
Evan

Tylan Templin

Post by Tylan Templin » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:12 am

Hi Nick,

The solution of setting the hand velocity to a high exponent seems to be a nice solution. Thanks!

And Evan, 'linear_velocity' should be a Vec3 but I was trying to use it as an Output Goal so it was stored differently and I wasn't able to use the Vec3 operations. But I think I have a useful way to get around it with the custom goal and Nick's advice to set a high exponent for the velocity.

Thanks!

Ty

Aravind Sundararajan

Post by Aravind Sundararajan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:47 am

Hi, instead of tracking a high value, I was thinking about a maximize or minimize peak Q, Qdot, Udot, or output goal as there are C2-continuous approximations of max() like Log Sum Exp or other smooth maximum functions that get used in machine learning.

Though I don't think a custom goal like this will be trivial as copying any of the existing goals as I think you'll need to pass or collect an entire column of the states trajectory for calculating the cost, but if anyone can weigh in on if it would be feasible, it would be an interesting discussion.