Using Delsys IMU Data in OpenSense

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Mhairi McInnes

Using Delsys IMU Data in OpenSense

Post by Mhairi McInnes » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 am

Hi there,

In the OpenSense tutorial, the possibility of supporting other IMU manufacturers was mentioned a few times. Any idea when this might be available?

I'm working with Delsys Trigno IMUs. My post-graduate research will focus on validating IMUs for upper-limb movement analysis and I can see that OpenSense could be a very useful tool.

If this is still quite far down the road, do you have any tips for creating my own file converter to get the orientations in the correct .sto format?

Any help is much appreciated,

Mhairi - PhD student - University of Aberdeen

Tags:

Ayman Habib

Re: Using Delsys IMU Data in OpenSense

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:13 pm

Hello,

The plan has been to add support for more IMU manufacturers if/when there's a clear need from the community. So far, no specific manufacturer seem to have been dominating our user community, instead users have been regularly converting outputs from the variety of available systems to the file formats we support already (XSens primarily), or creating sto files of quaternion data and bypassing the parsing altogether. Examples of these quaternions files are included with the OpenSim distribution, typically located under the resource folder e.g.
C:\Users\{user}\Documents\OpenSim\4.4\Models\Rajagopal_OpenSense\*.sto

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Mhairi McInnes

Re: Using Delsys IMU Data in OpenSense

Post by Mhairi McInnes » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:49 am

Thank you Ayman, that's really helpful to know. I will just work out how to convert the file into the Xsens format (or create the .sto file, as you say).

Mhairi