OpenSim 4.4 constantly crashes

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Nev Pires

OpenSim 4.4 constantly crashes

Post by Nev Pires » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:40 am

In general use, OpenSim 4.4 constantly crashes. I have been trying to use Camtasia to record the screen and there is no rhyme or reason as to what causes OpenSim 4.4 to crash. The latest is in the middle of the graphing process. At different stages, the GUI will just crash for no reason.

I am on Windows 11. I have an NVIDIA graphics card with OpenSim being forced to use it.

Tags:

Ayman Habib

Re: OpenSim 4.4 constantly crashes

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi Nev,

Thanks for reporting.

Considering that the release has been out for a few months and is in use by a large community I tend to think that these crashes are either specific to your environment or to functionality that is not widely used by the community. With that said we definitely would love to be able to reproduce and fix any crashes but you'll need to give us more specific info than "OpenSim 4.4 constantly crashes". I would open a bug report and include a minimal example (model, data files) to reproduce a crash and we'll try to reproduce and fix.

Typically crashes leave behind a hs_err_* file with a stack trace that could help us find the general area, though it seems based on the randomness you report that this is a memory management issue that happens when garbage collection is invoked, so knowing the functionality you used/visited would be more helpful than the actual stacktrace.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Nev Pires

Post by Nev Pires » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:57 pm

Hi Ayman,

I'd be happy to open a bug. Unfortunately, when OpenSim closes, no bug is generated, or none that I can tell.

Typical Workflow:

1). Load the Rajogopal2015 model.
2). Use the IMU Placer. I've tried to upload the STO files, but it won't let me.
3). Use the IMU Inverse Kinematics. I can't upload the files.
4). When I go to use the Plotter, OpenSim closes. It could be as soon as I open the plotter. Or it could be when I press one of the buttons on the plotter.

I'm happy to give you any other information if you want. Just let me know. Unfortunately, I don't have any bugs yet because nothing is generated. No crash reports. OpenSim just closes.
Attachments
Walk.mot
(200.21 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:13 am

Thanks Nev,

I opened an issue on github to track and dig further into it here
https://github.com/opensim-org/opensim-gui/issues/1396

Using the github interface should allow you to upload/attach all the necessary files so we can reproduce and troubleshoot the issue.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:38 pm

Hi Nev,

Can you upload all the files to reproduce the crash to the github issue so we can investigate?

Thank you,
-Ayman

Mhairi McInnes

Post by Mhairi McInnes » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:16 am

I am also experiencing a very similar situation to Nev - same workflow which causes OpenSim 4.4 to quit unexpectedly. Just after using IMU IK.