Model does not match the marker locations

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Karolina Saegner

Model does not match the marker locations

Post by Karolina Saegner » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:49 am

Hello,

I am using Opensim 4.4 (no option to tag this) on windows.
  • Model used: Gait2392
  • During scaling, the Static Pose Weights are set to be: markers on bony locations, i.e., medial humeral epicondyle, both femoral epicondyles, both malleoli have the weight of 20.0, tracking markers (on the thighs and shanks) are set to have the weight of 0.0, and the remaining markers have the weight of 1.0
  • The patient was severely overweight, therefore the hip markers could not be placed on bony landmarks of the pelvis and instead the patient wore a belt with 4 markers, which were placed in the approximate locations of both left and right anterior superior iliac spine and posterior superior iliac spine

I am facing the following issue while scaling the model - the virtual markers match the experimental markers and the marker errors are within acceptable boundaries (max 0.039); however the model pose is completely off. Why is the model not scaling according to the marker positions? This issue is with the whole model (please see screenshots of the whole model, head and chest, and right foot in the sagittal plane attached). The markers were placed on the subjects head during the motion capture, but I am not able to get them stay on the head on the model. Same with chest and shoulder markers - my subject is tall (1.89 m), however Opensim is just matching the marker location, but is not scaling the model to be the same height as the experimental subject. Also, why is my model standing on its toes? The virtual heel markers match their experimental counterparts, however the model's heel is way higher up.

What I have tried so far:
  • Setting the markers fixed, as well as free
  • Not giving any weight for the head markers during scaling (in the Static Pose Weights tab)
  • Adjusting the location of the virtual markers
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Whole body in sagittal plane:
whole_body_sagittal.png
whole_body_sagittal.png (96.79 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Head and chest in sagittal plane:
chest_head.png
chest_head.png (29.81 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Right foot in sagittal plane:
right_foot.png
right_foot.png (65.33 KiB) Viewed 200 times