Error simulating displacement

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Luisa María Gavier Moreno

Error simulating displacement

Post by Luisa María Gavier Moreno » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:05 am

Hi,

I'm trying to apply displacement conditions to a simple solid model. Specifically, I am applying displacement in X and Y directions through setting the values in that faces by Dirichlet conditions and in whose opposite faces I restrict the movement imposing values 0.0 using Dirichlet conditions as well. I attach a picture of the input file showing this information and another picture showing the employed values.
Input_file_conditions.png
Input_file_conditions.png (28.59 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Displacement_value_file.png
Displacement_value_file.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 632 times
As a result, I have obtained what is shown in the last picture: one of the faces has done the displacement, but the other one (Y direction) just has tried to move the surface of the face.
Displacement_result.png
Displacement_result.png (75.08 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Result with the initial model.png
Result with the initial model.png (59.61 KiB) Viewed 632 times
What I'm doing wrong? How can I impose displamecement conditions?

Vijay Vedula

Re: Error simulating displacement

Post by Vijay Vedula » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:53 pm

Can you post the case files on Drive or Dropbox? It is better to take a closer look at these before suggesting anything.

-- Vijay

Post by Luisa María Gavier Moreno » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:36 am

Of course, I attach the link to the files in Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Thanks!

Vijay Vedula

Post by Vijay Vedula » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:24 am

I think there is a mismatch between the face names and intended boundary condition. For e.g., cara_lateral_1.vtp has a normal along y-direction and you named it as Y0, but cara_lateral_1sym.vtp has normal along x-direction, although you are assuming it to be along y-direction and applying displacement along y-direction. The same is true for the X1s plane that has inconsistent normal and therefore, the boundary condition is not correctly applied.

Also, is this problem described anywhere? Your choice of material parameters seem to make the material very stiff (highly incompressible material) and you are using struct to solve it that has a tendency to lock. Mesh is very fine too. If this problem is meant for testing the code, perhaps, you should try testing on a simpler problem?

-- Vijay

Post by Luisa María Gavier Moreno » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:08 am

Yes, I'm sorry, there was a mismatch between the faces names and the boundary conditions. I have fixed it and now is correctly attached on Drive (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link). I run the problem again and the result can be seen below in the attached image, where you can see that there is a displacement of the two faces where I imposed the conditions, but the solid does not displace correctly.

In response to the material parameters, I'm using the same ones that have been used in one of the examples of svFSI-Tests, specifically the following : svFSI-Tests/05-struct/01-block-compression (https://github.com/SimVascular/svFSI-Te ... ompression). In that problem, compression is being applied on the patch and as a result, the generated displacement can be seen. In my case, I want to apply displacement and see the generated stress. I should change the material parameters and the equation type (maybe ustruct?) for the displacement problem?

On the other hand, in response to the mesh, I have also tested my problem with the same mesh that is used in the example: svFSI-Tests/05-struct/01-block-compression, keeping the same material parameters, but I did not obtain any good result.

Could you give some recommendations about the material parameters and equation type I should use?

Thank you for your help.

Luisa.
Attachments
Result1.png
Result1.png (110.42 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Result.png
Result.png (25.21 KiB) Viewed 549 times