Questions Regarding Wait Time

New project for OpenCap, which is a new software package to estimate 3D human movement dynamics from smartphone videos. OpenCap strongly relies on OpenSim.
Dylan Mayanja

Questions Regarding Wait Time

Post by Dylan Mayanja » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:29 pm

Hello OpenCap Team,

I hope you are doing well. My name is Dylan and I am a Research Coordinator with the Biobehavioral Pediatric Pain lab at Stanford University School of Medicine. My team and I have been trialing OpenCap to record biomechanical data for our study. We ran into issues conducting various movements (squat, one leg jump, vertical jump, etc.) because the wait/loading time took at least 20 minutes to load after each trial was complete (at different trial times - 20 sec and 60 sec). Also, we aren't able to determine if the recording captured was successful or not until after everything has loaded. Is the long wait period between each trial an issue that we can resolve? Is there a way to speed up the wait process so we can collect measurements for 7 different trials/activities within one session on OpenCap in a 2 hour period for our baseline visit?

Thank you for your insights. I look forward to resolving this together.

Best Wishes,
Dylan Mayanja

Scott Uhlrich

Re: Questions Regarding Wait Time

Post by Scott Uhlrich » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:52 pm

Do you mean it took 20 minutes for the videos to upload (i.e., the 'cancel trial' button was on the screen for that long), or it took 20 minutes for the trial to turn from yellow (processing) to green (done)?

If you are referring to it taking time to turn from yellow to green, you can continue collecting data while the trials are yellow. When the servers that process the data are busy, which they often are these days, it takes some time to process, but if the 'cancel trial' button turned back to the 'start recording' button, then the videos are uploaded and you can continue collecting data.

Dylan Mayanja

Post by Dylan Mayanja » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:45 am

Yes, I'm referring to the time it takes for the video to change from yellow to green. Thank you for your response!

Antoine Falisse

Post by Antoine Falisse » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:07 am

Processing time (ie, the time it takes from yellow to green) depends on how busy the servers are. If the queue is short then your trials should be processed quickly, but if the queue is longer because many people have been using OpenCap and uploading trials then it can indeed take much longer (20min is possible). There isn't much we can do to speed that up.

Ya Huang

Post by Ya Huang » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:04 pm

Hello,

I have been waiting for more than 5 hours now, but most trials in the following two sessions are still yellow. Any idea how much long that would take to turn green?

444af9de-9e25-4d1a-9ab6-5b8d2ea9869c

22c4ff80-4b3a-42d4-b59e-be4655853a40

One trial is red - any idea what does that mean?

Kind regards,

Ya

Scott Uhlrich

Post by Scott Uhlrich » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:39 pm

Hi Ya,

See the first response above. When the platform is busy, it takes time to process. Usually it takes a few hours, and even when busy it typically does not take more than 1 day.

You can click on the red trial to see if there's a specific error message, or try reprocessing locally using our open-source code if you'd like to dig in further. https://github.com/stanfordnmbl/opencap-core. Instructions are in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3KPo79_eQ

Yuwen Lu

Post by Yuwen Lu » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:08 am

antoinefalisse wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:07 am
Processing time (ie, the time it takes from yellow to green) depends on how busy the servers are. If the queue is short then your trials should be processed quickly, but if the queue is longer because many people have been using OpenCap and uploading trials then it can indeed take much longer (20min is possible). There isn't much we can do to speed that up.
I have waited for more than 30 hours, but the motion data is still processing. Is it because queue is too long or something is wrong with my experiments? My data was collected on the treadmill. I had the participant punch one hand in the air above their shoulders and bring it back down at some point during the trial to facilitate camera synchronization. However, because it takes quite long time for the treadmill to accelerate to a certain speed, I started collection when the subject walked stably at a fixed speed. The step may violate the rule in Best practices: "Start recording at least 1s before the participant begins the movement". I don't know whether this matters a lot.
Could you please help to check? My Session ID is a348563e-d885-45ca-8b06-5f6a9fb71b3d and 1a0556d7-5a6b-420c-b809-0309289d6480.
Thanks for checking.

Antoine Falisse

Post by Antoine Falisse » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:07 pm

We restarted your trials, please check back in a few hours.

Yuwen Lu

Post by Yuwen Lu » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:14 pm

antoinefalisse wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:07 pm
We restarted your trials, please check back in a few hours.
Thanks a lot! I got the results now! So is there any possible reason for this problem?

Scott Uhlrich

Post by Scott Uhlrich » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:18 am

The queue was quite long this weekend. We are working on increasing the number of servers, but for now, there may be some longer processing times.