Ligament passing through a wrapping surface

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Matthew Blomquist

Ligament passing through a wrapping surface

Post by Matthew Blomquist » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:07 pm

Hello,

I created a wrapping surface for a ligament in my model (show below)
osim1.PNG
osim1.PNG (97.26 KiB) Viewed 447 times
The ligament initially goes around the wrapping surface, as expected, but mid-simulation, the ligament goes straight through the wrapping surface:
osim2.PNG
osim2.PNG (90.28 KiB) Viewed 447 times
I saw on a previous post (viewtopicPhpbb.php?f=91&t=14330&p=41269&start=0&view=) that if the path points of the ligament end up inside the wrapping object, then no wrapping is applied. But for this scenario, the two path points (the two ends of the dark-blue/purple ligament) are clearly far away from the wrapping surface (light blue in the middle). Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening and if there is a way to fix it?

Thank you.

Tags:

Carmichael Ong

Re: Ligament passing through a wrapping surface

Post by Carmichael Ong » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 pm

Unfortunately, as you've observed sometimes the path of a ligament or muscle can pass into a wrapping surface at some joint configurations but not others. A couple of ways to deal with this:
1. Add a PathPoint or ConditionalPathPoint to help prevent the path from going into the surface.
2. As you analyze in which configurations this can happen (which is a great debug step for this!), if there are pre-existing PathPoint or ConditionalPathPoint's, you can move them slightly in the GUI to help out as well.