Direction of Ground Reaction Force

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
Eric Hu

Direction of Ground Reaction Force

Post by Eric Hu » Wed May 22, 2024 7:40 am

Hi Dr. Geijtenbeek,

I hope you are having a wonderful day. I attached a picture of the H0914 model that I am working on and I realized that the direction of my arrows at the beginning of the gait cycle seem to be in the opposite direction. I was wondering if you happen to know how to redirect these arrows in the correct direction without sacrificing velocity or altering the initial position. For context, I set my pelvis_tx to 1 for a 1m/s COM movement in the x direction. I understand that this is the reason why the arrow is in the opposite direction, but I'm lost as to what the alternatives are.
Screenshot 2024-05-22 093521.png
Screenshot 2024-05-22 093521.png (133.39 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Thank you so much,

Eric

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: Direction of Ground Reaction Force

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Wed May 22, 2024 7:57 am

The direction of the ground reaction force is the result of friction, which is based on the relative velocity of the contact and the floor. The only way to change that is by changing the velocity of the contact sphere, which can only be done by changing the coordinates.

Eric Hu

Post by Eric Hu » Wed May 22, 2024 9:25 am

Dr. Geijtenbeek,

Thank you so much for the explanation. Could you explain how to do what you suggested? I'm not too familiar with how to change the velocity of the contact sphere within SCONE.

Thank you,

Eric

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Fri May 24, 2024 6:44 am

You can only do this indirectly by changing the coordinates and the coordinate velocities.