Outlet pressure greater than inlet pressure

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Elizabeth Thompson

Outlet pressure greater than inlet pressure

Post by Elizabeth Thompson » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:59 am

Hello,

I'm modeling pulmonary arteries and calculating power loss, and I noticed my power loss was negative for one steady simulation. Looking into the case further, it looks like the pressure at one of my outlets (on the left side) is greater than the pressure at the inlet (at the bottom).
Pressure image.png
Pressure image.png (106.53 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Does anyone know why this might be happening? I have double checked that my inflow is in the correct direction and that the resistance at the outlets is applied appropriately, and that the correct faces are being assigned the appropriate boundary conditions. My other simulations have resulted in pressure drops across the vessel, so I'm confused why this is happening.

Appreciate any advice!

Thank you,

Beth

David Parker

Re: Outlet pressure greater than inlet pressure

Post by David Parker » Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:46 am

Hi Beth,

Are your simulations converging to a steady value and are the nonlinear residuals in the simulation histor.dat file < 1e-3 ?

I see creases in your mesh and so I'm wondering how good your model/mesh is, maybe not an issue for the results you are interested in.

If you upload your SV Project somewhere I can download it I'll have a look, probably just the Simulations directory would be enough.

Cheers,
Dave