Liquid-Liquid (water-hexane) interfaces workflow issues and setPositions() error

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Sophia Holincheck

Liquid-Liquid (water-hexane) interfaces workflow issues and setPositions() error

Post by Sophia Holincheck » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:11 am

Hello,

I have been assigned a research project using Openmm to model Liquid-Liquid interfaces. I was able to successfully simulate bulk water, but now that Ive moved on to hexane and water I cannot get it to work. I keep getting the error: openmm.OpenMMException: Called setPositions() on a Context with the wrong number of positions, which I believe results from the disconnect with the number of molecules in my PDB and my PSF file.

Here is the Openmm code:

Code: Select all

# This script was generated by OpenMM-Setup on 2023-02-28.

import sys
from openmm import *
from openmm.app import *
from simtk.unit import *
import time
import configparser
from params_validate import *
import os
from datetime import datetime

def get_cutoff_distance(dims):
   # args are box dimensions in A. Returns half the box distance in nm or 1.4 nm per Singer
   cutoff_distance = 1.4
   for i in dims:
       if i/20 < cutoff_distance:
           cutoff_distance = i/20
   return cutoff_distance*nanometers

if __name__ == '__main__':
   # start the clock
   start = time.time()

# read in parameters. files and params are just dictionaries with the parameters that I am consistently changing
   # files, params = get_files_params(sys.argv[1], 'openmm')
   files = {
       'str': ['MDSim/water/toppar_water_ions.str', 'MDSim/Hexane/C6H14.str'],
       'rtf': ['MDSim/water/top_interface.rtf', 'MDSim/Hexane/top_all36_cgenff.rtf'],
       'prm': ['MDSim/water/par_interface.prm', 'MDSim/Hexane/par_all36_cgenff.prm'],
       'dcd': 'MDSim/water/results.dcd',
       'results': 'MDSim/water/results.txt',
       'openmm_log': 'MDSim/water/results.log',
       'psf': 'MDSim/water_hexane_intf/interface_vmd.psf',
       'pdb': 'MDSim/water_hexane_intf/interface_packmol_sim.pdb'
   }
   params = {
       # equilibration parameters
       'equil_steps': 10000,
       # simulation parameters
       'sim_steps': 50000,
       'v_to_t_steps': 500, # number to steps between setting the velocities to temperature
       'gpu': True,
       'temp': 300
   }

# get correct surface_dims
   surface_dims = get_surface_dims(files['str'])
   # box_dims is in nanometers
   box_dims = [40, 40, 40]

# Input Files
   psf = CharmmPsfFile(files['psf'])
   pdb = PDBFile(files['pdb'])
   ff = CharmmParameterSet(*files['rtf'], *files['prm'], *files['str'], 'MDSim/water/par_interface.prm', 'MDSim/water/top_interface.rtf')

print(f"Number of atoms in PSF file: {len(list(psf.topology.atoms()))}")# debugging
   print(f"Number of positions in PDB file: {len(list(pdb.positions))}") # debugging

# System Configuration

nonbondedMethod = PME
   constraints = None
   rigidWater = False

# Integration Options

dt = 0.001*picoseconds
   friction = 1.0/picosecond
   pressure = 1.0*atmospheres
   barostatInterval = 25

# intdroduce boolean to turn GPU on or off
   if params['gpu']:
       platform = Platform.getPlatformByName('Reference') #For CUDA, use 'CUDA'
       #platformProperties = {'Precision': 'double'} #For CUDA, use 'Precision': 'double' or 'mixed' (for accuracy and speed, respectively.
   else:
       platform = Platform.getPlatformByName('CPU')
       platformProperties = {}
   # pdbReporter = PDBReporter(sys.argv[5], steps)
   dcd_interval = 100
   dcdReporter = DCDReporter(files['dcd'], dcd_interval)
   dataReporter = StateDataReporter(files['openmm_log'], 1000, totalSteps=params['equil_steps'],
       step=True, time=True, speed=True, progress=True, elapsedTime=True, remainingTime=True, potentialEnergy=True, kineticEnergy=True, totalEnergy=True, temperature=True, volume=True, density=True, separator='\t')

# Prepare the Simulation

print('Building system..')

# set the box dimensions for periodic boundaries
   psf.setBox((box_dims[0])*nanometers, (box_dims[1])*nanometers, (box_dims[2])*nanometers)
   # create they system object
   system = psf.createSystem(ff, nonbondedMethod=nonbondedMethod,
                             nonbondedCutoff=get_cutoff_distance([40,40,40]),
                             constraints=constraints, rigidWater=rigidWater)
   # use a VerletIntegrator - this is supposed to give a constant Energy Density ensemble. See OpenMM User Guide
   integrator = VerletIntegrator(dt)
   # create simulation object
   simulation = Simulation(psf.topology, system, integrator)
   # set the initial positions using PDB
   simulation.context.setPositions(pdb.positions)

# Minimize and Equilibrate

print('Performing energy minimization...')
   simulation.minimizeEnergy()
   print('Equilibrating...')
   simulation.reporters.append(dataReporter)
   # use the temperature and maxwell boltzmann velocity distribution to set correct initial velocities
   for i in range(int(params['equil_steps']/params['v_to_t_steps'])):
       simulation.step(params['v_to_t_steps'])
       simulation.context.setVelocitiesToTemperature(params['temp'])

# Simulate
   print('Simulating...')
   simulation.reporters.append(dcdReporter)
   # simulation.reporters.append(pdbReporter)
   simulation.currentStep = 0
   simulation.step(params['sim_steps'])

# end simulation section -- now to write the simulation parameters to the results file
   params['num_trajectory_frames'] = params['sim_steps']/dcd_interval
   params['run_time'] = params['sim_steps']*dt
   params['frame_spacing'] = params['run_time']/params['num_trajectory_frames']
   params['equil_time'] = params['equil_steps']*dt

with open(files['results'], 'w') as f:
       f.write('Openmm\n')
       f.write('All temperatures are in Kelvin.\n')
       for key in params:
           f.write(key+' = '+str(params[key])+'\n')
       dt_string = datetime.now().strftime('%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S')
       f.write('appended on '+dt_string+'\n')
       f.write('script run time = '+time.strftime('%H:%M:%S', time.gmtime(time.time()-start))+'\n\n')

The rest of our files are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link.
I apologize it is all a bit messy, weve been struggling and troubleshooting quite a bit. If you need us to clean up the files we can try but we dont understand enough about these programs to know what clean files look like.

Me and another student have inherited this project from a student who has now graduated. It looks like he used Openmm for bulk simulations, and solid-liquid interfaces, but never liquid-liquid interfaces. He automated a lot of his process, and I cannot follow his code very well. The instructions he left were not the most specific and were not sure where to begin. I am concerned that our current workflow may only work for the solid - liquid interfaces and liquid liquid interfaces will need a different workflow.

Our workflow is:
Use gaussian to create a PDB for a single molecule
Plug this PDB into Charmm to get Charmm forcefield files
Take this PDB and pack a 40*40*40 cell with one type of molecules using packmol
Repeat steps 1-3 for the other molecule
Use packmol to pack two 40*40*40 cells with molecules, this time stacking the two on top of each other. We now have three pdb files for packed cells.
Take the packmol outputs and our STRs from charmm and plug that into VMD to create a psf file.
VMD code:

Code: Select all

pdb MDSim/water_hexane_intf/interface_packmol_sim.pdb

package require psfgen

topology MDSim/water_hexane_intf/toppar_water_ions.str
topology MDSim/water_hexane_intf/C6H14.str

segment A {pdb MDSim/water/water_packmol_sim.pdb}
segment B {pdb MDSim/Hexane/hexane_packmol_sim.pdb}

coordpdb MDSim/water/water_packmol_sim.pdb A
coordpdb MDSim/Hexane/hexane_packmol_sim.pdb B
guesscoord

writepsf MDSim/water_hexane_intf/interface_vmd.psf
Take the PSF, the packed cell pdb, the prm files, the rtf files, and the str files and plug into the openmm code above.
Take the PSF and the dcd resulting from openmm and view it in VMD.

For the bulk water simulation, we skipped steps 4 and 5, and were able to successfully simulate water.

When we tried a bulk hexane simulation everything worked, except the molecules did not seem packed into a cube but more of a bubble (our nonbondedmethod was PME and not noCutoff).

Our advisor asked us to move ahead with the interface and now weve encountered the issue i described in the first paragraph.

Could anybody advise, either on the error with set positions or on our workflow or if we should consider using something other than openmm?

Thanks!

Peter Eastman

Re: Liquid-Liquid (water-hexane) interfaces workflow issues and setPositions() error

Post by Peter Eastman » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:58 am

When I load your PDB file, I get a lot of warnings like
/Users/peastman/miniconda3/envs/openmm/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openmm/app/internal/pdbstructure.py:537: UserWarning: WARNING: duplicate atom (HETATM 6441 C1 HEXAB9999 4.711 32.046 48.163 1.00 10.00 C , HETATM 6421 C1 HEXAB9999 10.934 22.748 78.785 1.00 10.00 C )
warnings.warn("WARNING: duplicate atom (%s, %s)" % (atom, old_atom._pdb_string(old_atom.serial_number, atom.alternate_location_indicator)))
/Users/peastman/miniconda3/envs/openmm/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openmm/app/internal/pdbstructure.py:537: UserWarning: WARNING: duplicate atom (HETATM 6442 H1 HEXAB9999 4.966 31.816 49.205 1.00 10.00 H , HETATM 6422 H1 HEXAB9999 11.782 22.676 79.479 1.00 10.00 H )
warnings.warn("WARNING: duplicate atom (%s, %s)" % (atom, old_atom._pdb_string(old_atom.serial_number, atom.alternate_location_indicator)))
The reason is that you have a lot of HEX residues that are clearly meant to be different residues, but they all list the same residue ID of 9999. Therefore they get interpreted as all being a single residue. And since atom names within a residue are required to be unique, all the duplicate atoms get ignored.

I haven't used packmol, so I can't comment on why your file ended up this way. But it needs to give every residue a unique ID.

Sophia Holincheck

Re: Liquid-Liquid (water-hexane) interfaces workflow issues and setPositions() error

Post by Sophia Holincheck » Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:16 am

Thank you! I'm not sure what generated the problem originally, but removing the line "resnumbers 0" from our input code for packmol seemed to fix the issue.