Using an OpenSim Docker Container

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Aaron Fox

Using an OpenSim Docker Container

Post by Aaron Fox » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:11 pm

Hi OpenSim Team,

I have recently gained access to our university HPC cluster, with the hope that this will help with running optimal control problems through OpenSim Moco via Python scripting. Ideally I could just use the conda opensim-moco package, but the HPC runs on Linux and unfortunately the conda package for this isn't ready yet. I also cannot install OpenSim on the HPC myself, so the recommended option was to use a container/docker image.

I found that relevant containers for OpenSim are available (e.g. https://hub.docker.com/r/stanfordnmbl/opensim-python) and was successfully able to pull this to the HPC. The HPC uses Singularity to do this, and I end up with an 'opensim-python_4.5.sif' file that I can use to access the container - but here is where I'm stuck, as I have no idea what to do once I've accessed the container. I would have thought that this container would have Python included, but the 'python' command gives me nothing rather than what I'd expect. I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing, or specific advice for this use case?

Perhaps a simpler question - does the latest container for OpenSim 4.5 include Moco (I noticed that there is an extra 4.4 with Moco version on docker)?

Thanks,

Aaron

Tags:

Mohammadreza Rezaie

Re: Using an OpenSim Docker Container

Post by Mohammadreza Rezaie » Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:20 am

Ideally I could just use the conda opensim-moco package, but the HPC runs on Linux and unfortunately the conda package for this isn't ready yet.
Hi, the conda opensim-moco package for Linux is already available through opensim_admin channel: https://anaconda.org/opensim_admin/opensim-moco

Hope this helps.
-Mohammadreza

Aaron Fox

Re: Using an OpenSim Docker Container

Post by Aaron Fox » Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:19 pm

Thanks Mohammadreza - that might be a useful solution. I've been conversing with Nick about this on the Moco forum, so might raise it over there as to what this conda package includes. This package might be a work in progress given what he's mentioned over there.

Aaron