Changing inputs to be joint actuators

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
Ernesto Hernandez-Hinojosa

Changing inputs to be joint actuators

Post by Ernesto Hernandez-Hinojosa » Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:56 am

Hello,
I am new to SCONE and I am trying to implement it's use to predict joint moments. Is there a way to replace muscle actuation with joint actuation? I have looked through the examples and tutorials and have not yet found a clue on how to achieve this. Any help is appreciated!

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: Changing inputs to be joint actuators

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:06 am

Yes, that is possible! There is currently only one example though that uses joint actuation. You can find it in the SCONE Examples folder:

Examples/Jump2D - H0906 - Joint Motor - Hyfydy.scone

Please let me know if this helps!

Post by Ernesto Hernandez-Hinojosa » Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:35 am

Thanks for the reply! This is a good place to start. It looks like there is a feedforward torque controller being applied. Is there a straight forward method to implement a two state gait controller using joint actuation? I assume the reflex controller will need to be swapped for feedforward controllers is this correct?

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:00 am

Yes, you can simply use the GaitStateController with two states and use joint actuation instead of muscle reflexes. You are not limited to feedforward control either, you can also use the DofReflex with a joint actuator, which makes it behave like a PD controller.

Post by Ernesto Hernandez-Hinojosa » Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:07 am

Thanks! What should the source and target be for the DofReflex?For source it seems like its just the name of the DOF but for target, i'm not sure what the name of the actuator should be.

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:07 am

Simply use the name of the Dof (coordinate). They can be used both for source and target if you use a DofReflex.