Collecting Data on job site

New project for OpenCap, which is a new software package to estimate 3D human movement dynamics from smartphone videos. OpenCap strongly relies on OpenSim.
Matin Jahani Jirsaraei

Collecting Data on job site

Post by Matin Jahani Jirsaraei » Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:05 am

Hello everyone, I'm exploring the use of OpenCap to collect Range of Motion (ROM) data from our workers on construction job sites. I'd like to understand potential challenges. Do we need to isolate the area and have only one person in front of the camera? Also, does the camera work effectively for tasks like assembly, cutting, sawing, and other complex activities?

Matt Petrucci

Re: Collecting Data on job site

Post by Matt Petrucci » Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:24 am

Hi Matin,

In terms of the task, just note that if you are looking at wrist or hand motions it won't be as accurate. But general elbow and shoulder kinematics should be more accurate.

For setting up your environment, I think the answers to many of your questions are on our best practices page, including the first part of the tutorial on YouTube. Note, it's best to avoid having clutter in the FOV, and it can handle multiple people in the capture volume (as long as your person of interest is seen as the tallest), but it's best to reduce the amount of people in the FOV if possible.

Hope this helps,