Crashes During Joint Reaction Analyis

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Erin Bill

Crashes During Joint Reaction Analyis

Post by Erin Bill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:41 pm

I am trying to Run Joint Reaction Analysis using CMC outputs. Once I hit Run, I get the message "executing aalysis" and then Open Sim sits for a moment and then closes.

I have had success with JR before for the same/similar data, but now for some reason Open Sim always closes, no crash log or anything.
I have tried different data and I get the same result. I was wondering if there were any thoughts as to what was causing this?

Thanks
Erin

Ayman Habib

RE: Crashes During Joint Reaction Analyis

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Erin,

If you're running from the GUI you might find it useful to run in Debug=3 mode (Edit->Preferences->Debug=3). If an exception is thrown by the analysis you get a dialog with a stack trace that may point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Erin Bill

Post by Erin Bill » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:16 am

Ayman,
I tried the debuggimg mode and Open Sim stopped working and froze. Any thoughts?

Ko Sasaki

Post by Ko Sasaki » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:16 am

Hi Erin,
I had a similar problem using the Analyze tool, but when I run the same analysis in CMC (edit the setup file), I usually get results without crashing. (However, see my bug-report.)
Cheers,
Ko

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:38 am

Hi Erin,

The debug mode dumps a lot of info in the messages window, maybe you could take a look at those to see if something stands out. Again, the difference is that any exceptions thrown by the tools, even internal errors that are detected are caught in the Debug mode (at the expense of some slowdown). The other option is to file a bug report and attach the model, setup and data files and I will try to reproduce the problem.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:05 am

Erin,

I haven't got your files yet, please file a bug report and attach all necessary files so we can investigate before we put version 2.2 out.

Thanks,
-Ayman

Liying Zheng

Re: Crashes During Joint Reaction Analyis

Post by Liying Zheng » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 am

Sorry to reply on this old post.

I am having the same problem now. The model ran through scaling, IK , RRA and CMC, but OpenSim (3.1) crashed during the joint reaction analysis (sometime even after running for 20~30%).

I am wondering if this problem has been solved in the old-version OpenSim? What do I miss here? I attached the error report.

Thanks,
Liying
Attachments
hs_err_pid1368.log
(18 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Erik Dijkstra

Post by Erik Dijkstra » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:39 am

I have a similar problem. I run the Analyze Tool for Static Optimization from MATLAB.
I call the Analyze Tool in a loop but in the second iteration MATLAB suddenly shuts down. My error report looks similar to that from Liying, see attachment.

Best regards,
Erik
Attachments
hs_err_pid6464.log
(21.56 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Alexander Bruno

Post by Alexander Bruno » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 am

I am having the same problem as Erik. When I run Static Optimization (the AnalyzeTool) in a loop in MatLab, MatLab closes after the second iteration. At the end of each loop I added a line to clear the model from the workspace, and this allowed Matlab to get through about 6 iterations of the loop, but then it crashed again.

-Alex

Alexander Bruno

Post by Alexander Bruno » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:08 am

In case anyone is still interested, I think this is a memory issue in MatLab. When using the AnalyzeTool in a loop, I clear the model object and AnalyzeTool object from the workspace at the end of each loop iteration, and that seems to fix the issue.

-Alex