Exporting SIMM files in OpenSIM

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Anantharaman Gopalakrishnan

Exporting SIMM files in OpenSIM

Post by Anantharaman Gopalakrishnan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 am

When I export the gait2354.osim model into the corresponding joint and muscle files (Using OpenSIM version 2.2.1), SIMM fails to read in the muscles with "Moving Muscle points" such as the rectus femoris and the vastus. Is there some edit to the muscle file I could manually perform, so that these moving muscle points are recognized by SIMM?? Thanks!

Ayman Habib

RE: Exporting SIMM files in OpenSIM

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Anantharaman,

I'm not sure what version of SIMM/OpenSim are you using, but please report that info and we'll figure the issue out with the SIMM support team.

Thanks for reporting,
-Ayman

Anantharaman Gopalakrishnan

Post by Anantharaman Gopalakrishnan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:10 pm

I am using version 2.2.1. All earlier versions seem to export the "moving muscle points" as fixed points when converting into the SIMM format. This leads to unreasonably high passive forces the affected muscles due to over-stretching. Thanks!

Peter Loan

Post by Peter Loan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Anantharaman,
It sounds like you are using an old version of SIMM. Support for moving muscle points was added to version 5.0 last year. I tested the files exported by OpenSim 2.2.1 and they load OK into SIMM 5.0 as well as version 6.0, which was released last month and is available on the MusculoGraphics web site.
Regards,
Pete

Regards