Finger Moves About Wrist Joint

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Chris Bates

Finger Moves About Wrist Joint

Post by Chris Bates » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 pm

I am currently working on expanding Sam Hamner's model to include finger joints to close a hand. Now I would like to expand the hand body into fingers with the "hand" remaining as the bodies that basically are not the "fingers" (proximal phalanges onward). I've done that so far, and am working on just the first knuckle on the index finger. I have the second metacarpal welded to the hand, and the second proximal phalanx with a custom joint attached to that. The joints work, the problem is that the bone moves about the wrist instead of the end of the second metacarpal. Is it because I have no had to change the location of the bones? Because of the geometry files used, my location and orientation to the parents are 0,0,0.

I've tried searching on the forum and can't find anything related, and am totally at a loss of how to fix it.

Chris Bates

Re: Finger Moves About Wrist Joint

Post by Chris Bates » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

I finally figured it out if anyone has similar problems to bones moving around incorrect locations. The geometry file was created in such a way that the axes of the body were at the wrist, but the visible bone was in the correct place at the finger. I put the parent location at the knuckle and then made the Visible Object geometry translation the opposite of the parent location. This moved the axes of rotation without actually moving the finger when looking at it in OpenSim.