Scaling problem with v3.0

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Michael Harris

Scaling problem with v3.0

Post by Michael Harris » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:39 pm

This may be associated with the bug reported by Andrea Morelli https://simtk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=3791

Using a model and scale settings from v2.4, the scale tool runs endlessly in v3.0. What I mean is that the "executing scaling' process never ends and a scaled model never appears in the GUI. This is the same if I run the scale tool with or without 'Preview static pose.'

I have verified that the model and settings files work fine in v2.4.

I have tried both versions of v3.0 that are available as well as a beta v3.0 version, and each of them have the endless scaling problem.

A scaled .osim model is generated, as is the ScaleSet_Applied.xml file so the scaling tool is doing something, but I cannot visually inspect marker alignment in the GUI because it never appears.

I have tried saving my model and the settings files in v3.0, but this has not changed things.

Ayman Habib

Re: Scaling problem with v3.0

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Michael,

Indeed this is a duplicate of the issue reported earlier by Andrea.

If you look at the messages window in version 2.4 you'll see that we were trying to write output model and scaleSet files using a bad path specification. The GUI code for this function hasn't changed since 2.4 but the code that writes files is more strict now so it throws the exception. We'll provide a build with a fix to this problem soon but for now you can get around the problem by removing the names of the intermediate files form the setup file wherever they are specified and rely on the GUI to save the output model (as done in the gait2354 example) and that should allow you to go thru scaling successfully. You'll need to close the tool and open it again to reiterate on scaling if needed.

Sorry for the inconvenience and please let me know how it goes,
-Ayman