On marker sets and Vicon integration

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Daniel Leib

On marker sets and Vicon integration

Post by Daniel Leib » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Many thanks to Dr. Habib on our thread below, my simulations are now running smoothly with a few tweaks on integrator tolerances. Now that that issue is solved, the next thing I'd like to do is work on a smooth integration of Vicon data into the OpenSIM framework. The motivation is selfish as I'm hoping to integrate its use into my masters thesis, but I'd of course be happy to contribute anything that develops and may be useful to the community.

As of now, I have put together a marker set file (OSIM.mkr) to identify the correct marker placements by name and output a usable .trc file as modeled after the demos. I'm not positive about the anatomical landmarks for the O-SIM markers, however; is the documentation for that in the works? Currently, I am using a combined O-SIM and Vicon Plug-In-Gait marker set (appx 63 markers) to collect data and run the Vicon model for joint angles and other verification data. It looks as though some of the O-SIM markers may be analogous to PiG markers, however, which would help simplify things. Once I've gotten the marker overlap sorted out, I'd be happy to share the marker file with the forum. It would allow simultaneous collection for O-SIM and the PiG model, which is now a little bit of a bookkeeping issue when it comes to longer data collections.

Also, do you happen to know how the Vicon SIMM plugin works? I've tried using it to export bones, but it crashes every time. Do you have to own the SIMM commercial product to use that? I'll check with the Vicon folks as well, just figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks,

Dan

Mark Nolette

RE: On marker sets and Vicon integration

Post by Mark Nolette » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi, I'm new to OpenSim, and Vicon as well, but I've been working on converting C3D files to be able to input them into OSim.

Recently I've been trying the Vicon SIMM plug-in, and I too have not been able to produce any results with it. In the user manual, it says that you need to have certain SIMM files. However, it when I try to process data and produce the *.mot files, it seems to run, but never produces any files, anywhere, at all!

So in the end, all I have to say to you is, keep me posted if you get anything out of the Vicon folks!