Inverse dynamics with no external reaction forces

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
micheal Sacharin

Inverse dynamics with no external reaction forces

Post by micheal Sacharin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:56 am

Hello, I made a simple example using the arm26 model and after running a IK simulation of a bending arm, I wanted to check the muscle effort involved in it, just due to the gravity (so without any external reaction forces) so I run a ID simulation with no external forces file selected. In the plotting (moments vs angles) I should see some moments on joints, correct?

Tags:

Thomas Uchida

Re: Inverse dynamics with no external reaction forces

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 am

I wanted to check the muscle effort involved in it, just due to the gravity (so without any external reaction forces) so I run a ID simulation
ID doesn't compute muscle forces; you should run Static Optimization or CMC.

micheal Sacharin

Post by micheal Sacharin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 am

Sorry, you are right obviously. ID will be able to calculate joint moments even if there are no reaction forces?

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 am

The Inverse Dynamics Tool computes the net joint forces/moments that are required to produce the motion you provide. Please see the documentation here: https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... e+Dynamics. You may also want to run through Tutorial 3 - Scaling, Inverse Kinematics, and Inverse Dynamics (https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... e+Dynamics) if you haven't already.

micheal Sacharin

Post by micheal Sacharin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 am

thanks