Parallel Runs

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Gideon Simpson

Parallel Runs

Post by Gideon Simpson » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm looking to do some ensemble sampling with OpenMM, and was hoping to distribute the jobs using the Python multiprocessing module, but I end up with a pickling issue related to SWIG (can't pickle SWIGPyObjects) Has anyone gotten something like this to work?

Peter Eastman

Re: Parallel Runs

Post by Peter Eastman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Systems, States, and Integrators can all be serialized to XML, which provides a portable format for doing this sort of thing. Just use XmlSerializer.serialize() to encode an object, and XmlSerializer.deserialize() to reconstruct it again. Will that meet your needs, or are there other types of objects you need to transfer?

Gideon Simpson

Post by Gideon Simpson » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Coming back to this (finally), I'm struggling with something else, though it be an issue with Python multiprocessing and not openmm. The following is an exmaple:

Code: Select all

from simtk import openmm, unit
from simtk.openmm import *
from simtk.openmm.app import *
from simtk.unit import *
from openmmtools import testsystems

x0 = testsystems.AlanineDipeptideVacuum().positions.value_in_unit(nanometer)

def short_run(x_init):
    integrator = LangevinIntegrator(300.0*kelvin, 1/picosecond, 0.002*picoseconds)
    topo = testsystems.AlanineDipeptideVacuum().topology
    sys = testsystems.AlanineDipeptideVacuum().system
    simulation = Simulation(topo, sys, integrator)

simulation.context.setPositions(x_init)
    simulation.step(num_steps)

state = simulation.context.getState(getPositions=True)
    x_final = state.getPositions(asNumpy=True).value_in_unit(nanometer)
    return x_final

import multiprocessing as mp
pool = mp.Pool(4)
results = pool.map(short_run, itertools.repeat(x0,4))
And the code just hangs. Checking lines one by one, the line that seems to cause the trouble is when the Simulation object is created. I had the same problem when I instead tried to directly construct a Context object. Again, it wouldn't surprise me if this is actually an issue with multiprocessing and not openmm, but if anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm

I don't know of any reason creating the Simulation would hang. There are some cases where it might throw an exception, for example if all the processes are trying to use the same GPU and it's set to exclusive mode. Do you know which platform it's using? Try explicitly telling it to use the CPU platform by add Platform.getPlatformByName('CPU') as a a fourth argument to the Simulation constructor.

Gideon Simpson

Post by Gideon Simpson » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:18 am

Yup, specifying the platform solved the problem.

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:15 pm

So it hangs with some platforms but works with others? Which ones does it hang with? Assuming it's the GPU based ones, are the different Contexts all using the same GPU, or does each use a different GPU (specifying the 'DeviceIndex' property when you create the Context)? If they all use the same GPU, is that GPU set to exclusive mode?