CMC - Muscle and tendon Stiffness

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Rodrigo Mateus

CMC - Muscle and tendon Stiffness

Post by Rodrigo Mateus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 am

Hi there,

I am performing CMC on a dataset of abrupt deceleration tasks, and I am having difficulties in reducing the reserve actuators during the analysis. Here you can the reserves I have been getting. I am using OpenSim 4.0 and the gait2392 MSK.
4.png
4.png (140.81 KiB) Viewed 375 times
When I was trying to debug the situation, I analyzed the muscles force profiles and came across this strange profile along the left bifemsh
3.png
3.png (119.16 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Once I realized that, I performed an Output report to check in detail what could be causing this. There are strange sudden changes in the muscle and tendon stiffness properties of said muscle.
2.png
2.png (119.16 KiB) Viewed 375 times
1.png
1.png (121.14 KiB) Viewed 375 times
I already checked the source code and performed the troubleshooting tips regarded by OpenSim, however I cannot seem to pinpoint the origin of this situation. Has anyone come across this same situation and knows how to solve it?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Best regards,
Rodrigo

Tags:

jimmy d

Re: CMC - Muscle and tendon Stiffness

Post by jimmy d » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 am

It may be useful to investigate the fiber lengths and velocities-- perhaps the fiber velocity is such that the muscle cannot generate hardly any force so the optimizer preferentially uses other actuators.

Rodrigo Mateus

Re: CMC - Muscle and tendon Stiffness

Post by Rodrigo Mateus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am

Firstly, thank you for the response!!

I increased the maximum contraction velocity of the muscles in the model. This is the plot for the normalized fiber velocity length, respectively. How should one proceed to reduce this if the problem resides in the maximum contraction velocity or fiber length? Trial and error until it goes right, or is there a line of thought to be carried out?
5.png
5.png (108.22 KiB) Viewed 324 times
6.png
6.png (117.39 KiB) Viewed 324 times