OpenSim 4.3 crashes on startup after clean install

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Delyle Polet

OpenSim 4.3 crashes on startup after clean install

Post by Delyle Polet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 am

The OpenSim 4.3 GUI crashes on startup in Windows 10.

This started happening today after trying to load two copies of a relatively large model. The second model didn't appear in the visualizer (a common occurance), so I closed the app and tried to open it again. Only the app crashed on startup: it hung on "Starting Modules" then crashed. There was no error dialogue to indicate the issue.

I tried restarting my computer, uninstalling OpenSim 4.3, re-downloading the install executable and reinstalling, but the problem persists. I tried this procedure twice.

I also tried seeing if I could clear app cache following these instructions, but the OpenSim 4.3 app did not appear in the list (OpenSim 3.3 did).

I'm running on Windows 10. If someone can provide me instructions to debug / find an error message, I'm happy to get some more information to resolve this issue.

Tags:

Ayman Habib

Re: OpenSim 4.3 crashes on startup after clean install

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:01 pm

Hi Delyle,

Starting version 4.0, the layout of the application and the cache have changed, they typically are located now at
C:\Users\${USER}\.OpenSim\${VERSION}
I'd clear this folder to make sure to start on a clean slate (without any reinstallation).

If you can share the model and related files (meshes, contact geometry etc.) please file a bug and attach a zip file of all the necessary files so we can troubleshoot if there's something to do on our side.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Delyle Polet

Re: OpenSim 4.3 crashes on startup after clean install

Post by Delyle Polet » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 am

Thanks Ayman, that worked! It loaded once I cleared the cache as you suggested.

I was able to reproduce the issue by reloading the two models together. However, they are "proprietary" models (not yet published). Can I send them to you privately? Or perhaps it would be enough to upload the cache?